At MSOE, you’ll spend hundreds of hours in labs getting practical experience in your chosen career. But first-rate labs and classrooms aren’t all you’ll find at MSOE. You have access to art, fitness, gathering places, community resources and even a retreat on the shore of Lake Michigan. You’ll feel at home, nestled on our safe campus with a vibrant city within reach. And you’ll be amazed that a place so filled with tomorrow’s technology can be steeped in history.
Click on the name to find out more about each building and what you’ll find inside.
Allen-Bradley Hall of Science and Fred Loock Engineering Center
432 E. Kilbourn Ave.
Fred Loock Engineering Center
912 N. Milwaukee St.
The Allen-Bradley Hall of Science (also known as the Science Building) and the Fred Loock Engineering Center are home to classrooms and more than 40 state-of-the-art laboratories.Acquired in 1958, the Allen-Bradley Hall of Science was renovated to reflect contemporary design, with an aluminum and glass exterior. It was dedicated in 1960. In 1967, the Fred Loock Engineering Center was added to the MSOE campus. Designed by architect Fitzhugh Scott, the sculptured brick building features applied tile facing, recessed windows, and a succession of curved forms on the Milwaukee Street facade that follow the contour of the test cells inside. Much of the education and research conducted by faculty, staff and students happens in this building, home to many labs, classrooms, faculty and department offices and other resources. In these buildings:
- Alvin and Marion Birnschein Laboratory
- Applied Technology Center
- Construction Science and Engineering Center
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department
- Fluid Power InstituteTM
- Gov. Warren P. Knowles Laboratories
- Harley-Davidson/Lee Georgeson Design Laboratory
- High Impact Materials and Structures Center
- IT Helpdesk
- Johnson Controls Building Environmental Systems Laboratory
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Photonics and Applied Optics Center
- Physics and Chemistry Department
Alumni Partnership Center
The Alumni Partnership Center is a focal point for a wide variety of alumni-related activities and the place where visiting alumni gather to participate in the camaraderie always present at MSOE. The Development and Alumni Affairs Office is located here, as is the Marketing and Public Affairs Department.This historic building was added to the MSOE campus in 1989. It was originally built in 1890 by Emil and Valentin Blatz as the headquarters for the Blatz Brewing Co. business offices. In the 1980s it was refurbished as the Beer Baron Restaurant, which operated for five years. This architectural masterpiece is recognized as a historical treasure by the National Register of Historic Places. Great care has been taken to preserve the unique features of this building, which include hand carved fireplace mantels, hardwood floors and oak beams.The Goethe House of Wisconsin is also housed in the Alumni Partnership Center. Goethe House is a non-profit German-American cultural institute that has served Wisconsin since 1958. Its mission is to serve as a statewide resource for information about the past and present culture of all German-speaking people – especially those in the Federal Republic of Germany.The Goethe House offers a number of services and events to the community including lectures and fine arts programs, German classes and children’s programs, walk-in tutoring and translation, genealogical research help, bibliographic research, and support for teachers of German. Please contact the Goethe House for hours and more information at (414) 277-2304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Campus Center is the center of social life at MSOE. Students meet up in the Campus Center to chat, play games, shoot pool or eat at the Skylight Marketplace. The “CC Building” also contains many student support services, classrooms, academic department and administrative offices, the Todd Wehr Conference Center and the Michael J. Cudahy Student Center. Some facilities and departments in this building are:
- Civil and Architectural Engineering and Construction Management Department
- Center for BioMolecular Modeling
- Administrative offices (Registar, Student Accounts, Student Life, Career Services, Admission Office, Financial Aid Office, President’s Office, V.P. of Academic’s Office, Finance, Human Resources)
- Student organization offices
- BioMolecular Engineering laboratories
- Johnson Controls Software Development Laboratory
- Project Lead The Way offices
- STEM Forward offices
- Student Support Services
- Learning Resource Center
- MSOE School of Nursing / Ruehlow Nursing Complex
The Grohmann Museum is home to the world’s most comprehensive art collection dedicated to the evolution of human work. The Man at Work collection comprises more than 900 European and American paintings and sculptures from 1580 to the present. They reflect a variety of artistic styles and subjects that document organized work. The museum opened in 2007 and is named in honor of Dr. Eckhart Grohmann, an MSOE Regent, Milwaukee businessman and avid art collector who donated his collection to MSOE in 2001 and subsequently the funds to purchase, renovate and operate the museum. The museum is also home to the General Studies Department and has a number of classrooms. More about the museum…
The Grohmann Tower apartment building is MSOE’s newest housing option for upperclassmen featuring studio, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments. Currently open to all juniors, seniors and international students on a first come, first served basis, Grohmann Tower apartments come fully furnished and include all utilities (heat, air conditioning, electricity and water) as well as a full kitchen and bathroom.
This three-story, Queen-Anne style house made of cream-city brick was built in 1894 as the parsonage for Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, located across the street. MSOE purchased the building in 1996 through a grant from the Glenn and Gertrude Humphrey Foundation. Glenn Humphrey was a Milwaukee entrepreneur who by the early 1960s owned the largest General Motors dealership in the country.
The Kern Center is a 210,000-square-foot recreation, athletic, health and wellness facility that was dedicated in fall 2004. The center exemplifies MSOE’s philosophy of a well-rounded university experience and is an important asset in attracting prospective students and providing current students with ample access to fitness, whether they are participating in NCAA Division III athletics, intramural sports or individual fitness programs. It is home to the Athletics Department, Counseling Services, Health Services, Recreational Services, the Servant-Leadership Office, an ice arena, basketball arena, fitness center, field house, recreational running track and wrestling area. The Kern Center is available for community usage and has hosted events from fitness expos to youth sports camps, leagues and tournaments. Facilities, including the ice arena, are available for limited rentals. See Kern Center Facilities for information and photos of our sports, banquet and meeting/expo facilities.
MSOE purchased the building in 1996 with funds from Evelyn Krueger given in memory of her late husband, William, co-founder of what became one of the nation’s largest printing companies, W.A. Krueger Co. Krueger Hall is home to the Rapid Prototyping Center and MSOE’s award-winning radio station WMSE 91.7 FM, well-known as the alternative frontier for Milwaukee music with an eclectic mix. WMSE has served Milwaukee listeners since 1981 and Internet listeners from around the world since 1999. There are also several classrooms and a student project room in Krueger Hall.
Margaret Loock Residence Hall
324 E. Juneau Ave.
Margaret Loock Residence Hall (MLH) was constructed in 1967, and is named after the wife of a former president of Allen-Bradley Co., Fred Loock, who was chairman of the MSOE Board of Regents. Several hundred students call MLH home. The MSOE Public Safety Department also is located here.
Roy W. Johnson Residence Hall
1121 N. Milwaukee St.
Dedicated in 1965, the Roy W. Johnson Residence Hall (RWJ) houses several hundred students and also contains the Housing Office, dining hall for all three MSOE residence halls, a game room, Roscoe’s restaurant and the Food Services Office. The hall is named after Roy W. Johnson, former chairman of the board of Controls Company of America, who was an MSOE Regent.
Regents Residence Hall
1121 N. Milwaukee St.
Regents Hall is arranged apartment style with each suite containing bedrooms, a bathroom and a kitchenette as well as the features found in Johnson Hall. This four-story addition to Johnson Hall was built in 1990 by Kahler Slater Architects.
Rosenberg Hall is home to MSOE’s Rader School of Business, the Graduate & Professional Education Department, the Gene Carter Apple Technologies Learning Suite, classrooms and laboratories, offices and a study lounge. MSOE has offered business programs since the mid-1950s. The school is named after the late Dr. I. Andrew (“Tiny”) Rader, a longtime MSOE supporter, MSOE Regent Emeritus, former chairman of The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and retired chairman and CEO of Allen-Bradley Co. This three-story, 20,000-square-foot building was constructed in 1964 as a school of mortuary science, and has been used by several occupants over the years. It was purchased by MSOE through the generosity of the late Dr. Kenneth Rosenberg ’50 and his wife, Doris, and after a major renovation project, opened for classes in fall 1999. The U.S. Department of Commerce, Commercial Service’s Milwaukee Export Assistance Center also is located in Rosenberg Hall.
Todd Wehr Conference Center
The Todd Wehr Conference Center is located at the southwest corner of Broadway and Highland Street. The center is part of the Campus Center, and is used for seminars, conferences, meetings and guest lectures, bands and other entertainment. The outer lobby features a reception area and small auxiliary conference room that seats twelve.
Pamela and Hermann Viets Field is an NCAA Division III competition field for soccer, lacrosse and club sport rugby. The field was built on top of a 780-car parking complex and is the first all-LED lit competition field in the United States. On the northern side of the facility, there is a .88 acre public park and 12,000 square feet of retail space. The facility opened in August 2013. Drs. Robert and Patricia Kern provided a majority of the funds to acquire the land on which the facility is located as well as the construction costs.
Walter Schroeder Library
The Walter Schroeder Library is a resource for MSOE students, faculty, alumni and businesses, including print and non-print reference materials and computers. The first and second floors house library materials, group study rooms, electronic equipment, reading areas and ongoing exhibits. Classrooms and faculty offices are located on the third floor. The library also is home to the world’s largest light bulb!Dedicated by former U.S. President Gerald Ford (1913-2006) in 1980, the library is named after Walter Schroeder (1878-1967), a Milwaukeean in the insurance, mortgage loan and bond business who later became a hotelier. He built the Astor Hotel and Schroeder Hotel (now Hilton Milwaukee City Center), his pride and joy. Schroeder established the Walter Schroeder Foundation in 1963 for charitable, religious, scientific, testing for public safety, literary or educational purposes.