- Program Details
Learn how to enhance your organization’s ability to effectively identify, develop and deploy new products and services.
Success in developing and deploying new products depends, in large part, on providing products that can compete on a global level in existing and new markets. Effective new product management is a critical factor in the success of a new product or service.
The Master of Science in New Product Management (MSNP) degree program provides students a framework to enhance an organization’s ability to effectively identify, develop and deploy new products and services. You will learn how to apply the tools and knowledge needed to find the products and/or services that are aligned with the unique strengths and position of an organization. Further, the MSNP will prepare you to identify and capitalize on both domestic and international product markets.
Faculty members have extensive business experience, and the faculty-to-student ratio is kept small to allow interaction among faculty and students. Most faculty members have a Ph.D.
Admission Checklist and Requirements
All MSOE graduate students are eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Most of MSOE’s graduate students are employed full-time and over 70% receive employer tuition support. If you are employed, we also recommend that you speak with your employer about tuition reimbursement assistance.
MSNP Co-Program Directors
Professor David Schmitz
Professor Gene Wright
For more information, contact
MSOE Graduate Admissions
MG‐600 Management Principles
MG‐610 The Application of Statistics
MG‐620 Finance and Accounting
MG‐631 Research and Writing (Module 1)
MG‐632 Research and Writing (Module 2)
MG‐633 Research and Writing (Module 3)
MG-645 Operations and Systems Management
MG‐660 Applied Organizational Behavior
MG‐670 Marketing Management
MG‐800 Strategic Management
SUBTOTAL: 24 credits*
MSNP specialization courses:
MG-770 New Product Management
MG-765 Managing New Product Development Teams
MG-745 Strategic Technology Development
MG-776 Advanced New Product Management
MG-750 Knowledge Management
SUBTOTAL: 15 credits*
Culminating Experience (choose Thesis or Project):
MG-8041 New Product Management Thesis
SUBTOTAL: 6 credits*
MG‐xxx Graduate Management Elective
MG-880 New Product Management Final Project
SUBTOTAL TOTAL: 6 credits*
PROGRAM CREDITS: 45 quarter credits*
*MSOE follows an academic quarter system. The 45 quarter credits required in this program equate to approximately 30 semester credits of contact and class time.
Objectives and Outcomes
Graduates of the program are:
- capable of leading the creation of value through new product and new process development.
- innovators who create new value through the development of new products, services and processes manifest in the form of entrepreneurship; and emergent from within as intrapreneurship.
Graduates of the MSNP program will possess:
- Pragmatic skills and knowledge across functional business areas including marketing, organizational behavior, management of new product development teams, accounting and finance, operations and information technology.
- The ability to lead and manage new product and process development programs.
- The ability to recognize and use modern business techniques, skills and tools, especially in the new product and new process environments.
- A thorough understanding of the professional, ethical, and social responsibilities inherent in new product and process development.
- The ability to use an array of tools to communicate effectively in relevant venues.
- The recognition of the need for and the desire to engage in lifelong learning.