- Program Details
Strengthen your management and leadership skills as they relate to the value-added exporting of U.S. manufactured products, services and technology.
The Master of Science in Marketing and Export Management degree program (MSXM) is a technology-oriented leadership program designed to meet the needs of engineers, business managers and other professional and technical persons. The MSXM emphasizes practical knowledge as a critical means to supplement a base of required objective skills. Graduates of the program will possess the broad range of knowledge and skills necessary for senior management or entrepreneurial positions in a wide range of industries.
The MSXM is based upon the philosophy that for organizations to compete in the increasingly intercontinental marketplace their managers need a deep understanding of global business practices. This knowledge will enable them to envision, design, create, sell and maintain products and services that add value to a broad base of humanity living and working in environments as diverse as the individuals themselves.
Faculty in the MSXM program have extensive knowledge and first-hand experience with the global business environment and international markets. Most are employed in the discipline(s) they teach, and most have Ph.Ds.
The MSXM is built on three specific pillars:
- Individuals gain skills and knowledge across functional business areas.
- Students cultivate technical skills in global resource management and export.
- Students become adept at strategy development, strategic global marketing, global business and entrepreneurship.
The specific areas of major importance complement those articulated in other MSOE management master’s degrees, but further capitalize on global economic opportunities, growth of untapped markets and revitalization of product development to include export markets.
Admission Checklist and Requirements
All MSOE graduate students are eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Most of MSOE’s graduate students are employed full-time and over 70% receive employer tuition support. If you are employed, we also recommend that you speak with your employer about tuition reimbursement assistance.
MSXM Co-Program Directors
For more information, contact:
Graduate & Professional Education
MG‐600 Management Principles
MG‐610 The Application of Statistics
MG‐620 Finance and Accounting
MG‐631 Research and Writing (Module 1)
MG‐632 Research and Writing (Module 2)
MG‐633 Research and Writing (Module 3)
MG-645 Operations and Systems Management
MG‐660 Applied Organizational Behavior
MG‐670 Marketing Management
MG‐800 Strategic Management
SUBTOTAL: 24 credits*
MSXM specialization courses:
MG-744 Global Supply Chain Management
MG-771 International Marketing and Export
MG-772 Global Design, Test and Styling Management
MG-761 Global Customers and Cultures
MG-XX Elective (MG, MI or MSE)
SUBTOTAL: 15 credits*
Culminating Experience (choose Thesis or Project):
MG-8042 Application Thesis/Cutural Immersion
SUBTOTAL: 6 credits*
MG‐xxx Graduate Management Elective
MG-872 Marketing and Export Management Final Project
SUBTOTAL TOTAL: 6 credits*
PROGRAM CREDITS: 45 quarter credits*
*MSOE follows an academic quarter system. The 45 quarter credits required in this program equate to approximately 30 semester credits of contact and class time.
Program objectives are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the academic program is preparing the graduates to achieve. Graduates of the MSXM program will:
- drive collaborative communication and relationship building across international boundaries.
- coordinate global resource management, international market development and export management.
- lead strategy development, strategic global marketing, global business and entrepreneurship.
- identify and develop international markets for the deployment of existing and new products.
Student outcomes are narrower statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation. Graduates of the MSXM program will possess:
- the ability to recognize and use modern management techniques, skills and tools, especially in the global environment.
- the ability to lead and contribute to their companies’ global initiatives as related to the value-added export of U.S. products.
- the ability to communicate effectively with a clear awareness of the cultural and social differences present in a global environment.
- a thorough understanding of one’s professional, ethical and cultural responsibility in a world market
- the broad education necessary to apply management solutions, especially in differing global cultural and social contexts.
- the recognition of the need for and the desire to engage in lifelong learning