How do you make social media work for your company?
MSOE has partnered with award-winning agency 7Summits to provide a comprehensive three-stage certificate program to answer that question. You’ll start by gaining a broad perspective of social media and its applications, then learn how to evaluate the performance of the social media site and finish by developing a detailed social media strategy for your organization, complete with defined outcomes.
To earn the Social Media for Business certificate, participants must complete all three levels of the program in sequence. Please note, participants are required to register for each level separately and must bring a laptop to class.
- Level 1: Social Specialist
- Level 2: Community Mgr
- Level 3: Business Strategist
Social Media Specialist
This three-day course provides a broad perspective of social media and its application both internally and externally within today’s changing world of business. Participants will gain the necessary tools to become active members of a social media team and evaluate which technologies are best suited to their organization.
Upon completion, you will have:
- A practical understanding of social media and its application in the business world
- An understanding of Groundswell’s POST model (People, Objectives, Strategies and Tactics)
- A thorough understanding of different social media technologies/platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and the ability to evaluate their advantages and disadvantages
- Basic knowledge of when and how to use advanced social media tools, including social listening, social media management and measurement
- The ability to analyze your organization to identify opportunities to expand the use of social technologies and grow the business
- Tactical understanding of posting or creating content and participating in social conversations
Community/Social Media Manager
This three-day course leverages the foundational knowledge gained in level one and provides skills and tactics necessary to create, execute and evaluate social media communities. Participants will master the necessary tools needed to manage a social media team within their organization and gain insight into tracking and evaluating social media performance.
Upon completion, you will have:
- An understanding of social media best practices and the ability to analyze and identify specific opportunities for social media expansion within your organization
- The practical knowledge to successfully manage and execute your company’s social media investment to best support meeting ROI goals; coordinating teams, determining key daily actions to promote community vitality and spotting trends to drive activation and adoption plans.
- An understanding of how to track social media performance using various analytical tools to measure and report success, including Radian6, Google Alerts and Google Trends
- The ability to develop and improve social media processes, policies and procedures within your organization, as well as understand the legalities of social media, including privacy, contracts and liability
- The ability to anticipate and analyze the need for an online conversation platform, including how to deal with positive and negative responses
- An understanding of how and where content strategy fits within the larger organizational strategy and goals, as well as how to encourage participation and develop member-generated content
Social Business Strategist
This three-day course, the final level of the certificate, allows participants to apply the knowledge learned in levels one and two of the program into a comprehensive, holistic and broader understanding of social media in conjunction with driving business value and outcomes. Participants will develop a detailed social media strategy for their organization, complete with defined outcomes linked to an overall business and organizational strategy and specific measurements to monitor and evaluate performance.
Please contact the Graduate & Professional Education department at or by phone at (800) 321-6763, if you would like to be contacted when the dates are confirmed.
Upon completion, you will have:
- The knowledge necessary to create a social media strategy that delivers on your company’s business goals and objectives. This includes coordinating with organizational stakeholders to ensure the effectiveness and adoption of relevant social media techniques into the organizational culture and into all products and services
- The ability to develop a detailed budget for the integration of social media both externally an internally within the organization
- The ability to recruit and oversee an entire social media team, ensuring superior quality of communication, execution and project delivery is provided at all times
- An ability to provide and implement benchmarks while analyzing data to inform organizational decision making to meet key performance objectives
- Insights to identify digital communication trends, and an ability to separate tools from fads
- A completed draft of a specific social media strategy for your organization
About the Instructors
Paul Stillmank is president and CEO of 7Summits, a social business agency focused on helping clients apply social media to drive measureable business value. Prior to founding 7Summits, Stillmank was global solutions vice president at Manpower Group, with direct responsibility for externally facing global web applications serving millions of registered users. These Internet applications leverage the most contemporary technologies including open-source, Web 2.0 and social media. He was also partner and vice president overseeing the Global Solutions portfolio at WHITTMANHART.
James Davidson, vice president of Digital Strategy at 7Summits, has 10+ years of overall business and technical experience in B2B, B2C and B2E with a heavy emphasis on digital and social media. He has extensive experience managing company brand or agency campaigns from start to finish, with a high degree of client exposure and management. He is highly knowledgeable in existing and emerging social media platforms, trends, tactics and technologies. His industry experience includes financial services, recruiting and human resources services, CPG, engineering, professional services and product manufacturing.