An interesting article in yesterday's Washington Post discusses that while the percentage "of U.S. adults who attended at least one kind of arts performance or visited an art museum or gallery is the lowest it's ever been measured," this trend does not necessarily point to an overall decline of interest in the arts. Rather, it may suggest a shift in how we choose to participate:

"There's evidence that Americans are more interested in making art part of their daily lives: Arts volunteerism is up, musical instrument sales are rising from their 2009 low point, the number of arts degrees conferred by colleges has grown from 75,000 per year a decade ago to 129,000 today, and more than a third of Americans in the NEA survey reported consuming art in some form through their mobile devices. Some of it looks a little different: There's the more technology-oriented Maker movement, for example, and a boom in the discipline of industrial design." Read More

While I do still enjoy visiting art museums and going to live theater, I also know that I'm happier when the making of art, whether physically or electronically, is interwoven into my days in a more personal way. This summer, for example, I spent many enjoyable days learning the basics of video editing so as to put together music videos of our son's wedding photos for a DVD. Even more recently I made for my husband and myself his and her Warhol-inspired "banana plates," to begin stocking our newly "emptied nest" breakfast table. They are not gallery worthy, by any means, but they bring me much happiness.

Banana Plates.jpgHow do you make art a part of your daily life, especially in the context of busy lives as students and workers?