Note: The Daily Dean won't publish tomorrow--hope you have a "good Friday" (pun intended).

We're about to take a 3 day break at MSOE, and it's time to slow things down a bit. Life on campus can be chaotic. The data (or should I call it information?) we process comes at us at blazing speeds, and without enough time to process it, our brain cannot enable it to move from short-term memory to long-term memory. And if we don't enable it to move to long-term memory--if it doesn't cross the neural network--we have learned nothing.

So, if you think about it, taking a break once in a while is an important part of the learning process. Slowing the thought-process down. When I used to teach Creative Thinking, I told my students that it's important to know how to think fast (to solve small problems) as well as how to think slow (to solve big problems). You have to know how to think at different rates in order to solve different problems. In the case of a long weekend, it's advantageous to actually plan (with great intentionality) to have a day (or two, or three) where you don't think--at least not in an academic sense. Yes, process the events of the day, but take a nap at some point, or look out the window, or go for a walk--and do it with great intentionality.

To illustrate this point, I share with you a video of my dog, Lucy. She is the queen of sleeping on the couch. But when the tennis ball comes out, she quickly shifts into hyper-mode. Hence, she's a great example of someone who can move quickly and slowly, depending on the intent of the activity. Here's a video of her moving slowly when she's doing something quickly.