There's a table outside of the Student Life office where we give away stuff. It's mostly books, because I was bringing in and giving away all the books that my daughter didn't want anymore. But soon the table took on a life of its own, and other members of the Student Life family started bringing in items to give away.

One such item was a book that Sonya (our Administrative Assistant) brought it; it's called Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over your Life. It's not often I gravitate to a book just based on its title, but this time it happened, and I've since found that Richard Carleson's text is simply insightful. The book is small and has very small chapters (usually a page in length), and the topics covered are not new. But they do represent bits of wisdom that are easily forgotten when you turn small details into big details. For example:

• Let Others Have the Glory
  • Surrender to the Fact that Life Isn't Fair
  • Look Beyond Behavior
  • Seek First to Understand

Carlson then elaborates just a bit (not too much) on each of these pithy concepts. So, it's not a book one would read from cover to cover; instead, it's one that you read for thirty seconds and then ponder what you just read. Hopefully, the reader is able to apply that knowledge in the day ahead.

The book is sitting on my desk. Come on by to CC 385 is you want to borrow it.

small stuff.JPG.jpg