Things to do before you come to college:
- Fill out the Health Form.
- Keep a backup copy for your records.
- Get your own health insurance card or copy both sides of your health insurance card and carry it with you.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date.
- Two documented dates of MMR vaccinations. (Measles/Mumps/Rubella)
- Tetanus shot within the last 10 years. Tdap (Tetanus, Diptheria and Acellular Pertussis) is the recommended vaccine for update as it includes protection against Whooping Cough; otherwise known as Acellular Pertussis.
- History of Chicken Pox disease (age or year of), or a titer demonstrating immunity, or two Varicella vaccinations which protect against chicken pox.
- Hepatitis B immunization is recommended.
- If you live in campus housing, a meningitis immunization is also highly recommended; check out your home clinic or public health department for cost savings.
- Complete a written list of any prescription, over-the-counter and herbal medications that you take, including dosage and strength.
- Make a list of your allergies, important medical problems, and special needs (e.g., chronic conditions and disabilities).
- Know your family medical and mental health history.
- Be familiar with diagnoses or treatments for any past or current mental health problems.
- Know address and phone number of your hometown medical clinic.
- Buy alcohol-based antiseptic soap to carry with you; use it often.
Have a good first aid kit including:
- Bandages for small cuts and scrapes
- Gauze and adhesive tape
- An elastic bandage for wrapping sprains
- Liquid soap and antibacterial/antibiotic ointment
- A thermometer
- An ice pack or chemical cold pack
- Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for aches and pains
- Medicine for headache, pain relief, upset stomach and diarrhea
- Medicine for allergies, cough, cold and sore throat
- Copy of your health and immunization record and insurance card
Health record requirements
- All students (new or transfer) must complete the MSOE Health Record Form.
- Keep a copy for your records
- Before arriving on campus, mail the original to:
MSOE Health Services
1025 N. Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202
- If not sent in before Aug. 20, you must hand in your completed form when checking into your residence hall on move-in day. We will be checking for completion of all immunizations. Remember we must see two documented dates of MMR vaccinations and a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, and age when vaccinated for chicken pox.