FAQs Regarding Probation

Definition of Probation Status
You are placed on academic probation when your term GPA, cumulative GPA OR cumulative major GPA are below 2.00.

What does it mean to be on probation?
Probation is an academic warning. It is a good time to reflect on what changes need to be made to ensure you will be more successful next term. Since both a 2.00 cumulative and cumulative major GPA are required for graduation, anytime your GPA is below that minimum level, we put you on probation as a warning. If you have two terms in a row below the 2.00 level, you will be suspended from MSOE and will need to write an appeal letter to continue as a student.

How does this affect me?
All traditional freshmen who are on academic probation after their fall or winter term are required to participate in a non-credit class called Pathways to Academic Student Success (PASS). The course number is OR1911. You will learn many helpful strategies in the PASS class, so it is important to be an active participant in the class. The class will help you develop study skills that you may not have needed in high school, and it connects you to resources on campus that will help you throughout your college career. You can be successful; you just need to change your habits and dedicate yourself to your academic success.

How does a change of program affect academic status?
Academic status is determined base on the GPA earned for each term. This earned GPA is not affected by having courses removed from the calculation of your GPA because of a change of program; therefore, you are still on probation even if your GPA has been altered due to a change of program.

How do grade replacements affect academic status?
Academic status is determined based on the GPA earned for each term. This earned GPA used for academic status is not affected by grade replacements.

How do summer classes affect academic status?
Academic status is not re-evaluated after the summer term. Summer is considered a non-standard term and grades earned will not affect your status.

I failed a class last term; now what should I do?
Often, failing a class will cause you some prerequisite issues in future terms. You cannot be enrolled in a course if you failed the prerequisite. Prerequisites are listed in the course description section of the Academic Catalog. If you have questions regarding prerequisites, please review your schedule with your advisor to be sure you are in compliance with this policy.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that I will do better next term and get off probation?
Yes! MSOE has many other resources available to help you be successful. If you are not sure where to start, we encourage you to meet with one of the counselors in Counseling Services.

For help with: Contact:
Depression or other wellness issues Counseling Services
Determining if you are in the correct major for you Counseling Services or your advisor or program director
Financial Issues Counseling Services or contact Financial Aid
Effective note-taking techniques Raider Center for Academic Success
Personal, family or relationship issues Counseling Services
Tips to improve your study skills Raider Center for Academic Success
Substance abuse issues Counseling Services
Test taking strategies Counseling Services or Raider Center for Academic Success
Strategies to improve your time management Counseling Services Raider Center for Academic Success
Figuring out a plan of change for the upcoming term Counseling Services
Accommodations for physical or learning disabilities Student Accessibility Services
Course content and tutoring Raider Center for Academic Success


Who should I contact if I still have questions?
Mary Nielsen
Registrar and Chairperson of the Student Advancement Committee
(414) 277-7216

Contact the Wellness Center

Location: Kern Center, K-230
1245 N. Broadway

Phone: (414) 277-7590 to schedule an appointment.

Email: wellness@msoe.edu

Regular Hours:

Counseling Services (K-230)

Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Health Services (K-250)

Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Student Accessibility Services (K-250)

Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

RCAS Hours of Operation

Kern Center K-125/127

Mon - Thurs: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m

Tutoring is available upon request based on course and tutor availability

Drop-In Hours
Math and Physics
Mon and Wed 1 -3 p.m. in K125