Required courses: (48 credits)
MI-13101 Introduction to Medical Informatics I (3)
MI-13102 Introduction to Medical Informatics II (3)
MI-13202 Ethics in Medical Informatics (3)
MI-693 Intermediate Statistics (3)
MI-720 Six Sigma Quality and Patient Safety
MI-787 Health Care Systems Analysis and Design (3)
MI-13204 Information Systems Project Management (3)
MI-783 Database Structures and Processing (3)
MI-885 Computer Network Design (3)
MI-743 Principles of Health Care Management
MI-756 Health Care Provision and Payment (3)
MI-789 Medical Informatics Case Study Seminar (3)
MI-13203 Health Care Decision Support (3)
MI-786 Medical Informatics Journal Club (1 credit – 3 req.)
MI-13297 Internship/Research Project I (3)
MI-13298 Internship/Research Project II (3)
Plus two elective courses (6 credits)
Goals and Objectives
Program Educational Objectives
Desired objectives for medical informatics graduates, five years post graduation, include significant competency in:
- applying complex medical informatics solutions and analyzing outcomes.
- meeting the professional requirements for highly responsible positions.
- identifying revenue, cost savings or efficiency improvements which add value to their organizations.
- influencing decision-making in the application of informatics solutions.
- facilitating, leading and/or sponsoring multi-disciplinary teams.
- engaging in substantial life-long learning activities.
Medical informatics students, upon graduation, should have:
- the broad education necessary to understand where and when informatics solutions can be appropriately applied.
- an ability to evaluate and integrate disciplines (medicine, information technology and business) within the field of medical informatics.
- an ability to effectively participate in multi-disciplinary teams.
- an ability to evaluate and apply process improvements.
- an understanding of the components of change management.
- an ability to communicate effectively.
- an ability to integrate professional and ethical responsibility.
- an appreciation for, and an ability to engage in, lifelong learning.