Study operations research at MSOE—the only university in the state to offer a bachelor’s degree in the field.
Operations research analysts solve problems and make decisions based on mathematical calculations to improve daily life. They use simulation (which gives them the ability to test approaches and ideas); optimization (which narrows the choices to the best); and probability and statistics (which helps them measure risk, test conclusions and make reliable forecasts) in a number of industries, including insurance, government and transportation.
With a degree in operations research from MSOE, you’ll learn how to use mathematics to help businesses make rational, logical decisions. Provide value to your organization by helping it choose the right path from a plethora of different options. You’ll help businesses to become more efficient, more logical and, ultimately, more competitive.
The operations research program is new, therefore placement rates do not exist yet. However, the projection for employment is outstanding, like all other MSOE degree programs.
Below are just a few examples of the variety of projects that operations research analysts work on:
- Optimizing the way auto manufacturers design and test vehicle prototypes
- Designing an overnight delivery network for package delivery companies
- Helping airlines design a faster crew recovery plan in case of schedule disruptions, flight delays and cancellations
- Helping broadcasting companies improve advertising sales plans to increase revenue
You may want to consider operations research if you …
- Are able to do mathematics and detailed work with accuracy
- Have keen analytical, project management and problem solving skills
- Have an interest in business, including finance, accounting and economics
- Have strong oral and written communication skills
- Are proficient with computers and computer programs
Dr. Yvonne Yaz