Student Employment
There are several positions still available for the 2012-2013 academic year. Most positions do require you to be eligible for Federal Work Study, so please contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify. If you are interested in working on campus, please visit the Student Employment page to view current job openings.

Current Scholarship Opportunities
Moore Oil Scholarship – Application deadline: Tuesday, November 27th
MSOE’s Financial Aid Office is currently accepting applications for the 2012-2013 Moore Oil Scholarship. This additional $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to one qualified student. Preference will be given to students seeking a professional, Baccalaureate degree from the Rader School of Business, or from the field of Industrial Engineering with full time standing as a junior in the Fall of 2012.

Due Friday, November 2nd

  • N.E.W. Industries Scholarship: Two qualified students will receive an additional $5,000 scholarship for the 2012-2013 school year. This scholarship may be renewable if the recipient fulfills the agreed upon criteria.
  • Boldt Company Scholarship: One qualified student will receive an additional $3,000 scholarship for the 2013-2014 school year.
  • The Modine Manufacturing Company Scholarship: One qualified student will receive a $5,000 scholarship, renewable if the student continues to meet certain criteria.

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) can help. NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. Using NSLDS, students can access information regarding their loan servicers, loan amounts, outstanding balances, loan status and disbursements.

Visit NSLDS today (click on “Financial Aid Review”) to review all of your federal loan information.

Payment due date was September 17th, 2012. The Student Accounts Office did extend the deadline to October 31st, 2012. Balances paid in full by October 31st, 2012 will not incur any late fees.

Keep in mind if you still owe a balance on your student account you will not be allowed to register for any future quarters at MSOE. If you have any questions about your account please contact Student Accounts by calling 414-277-7130 or e-mail

You can make cash, check or credit card payments in person at the Student Accounts Office located in CC-437. For your convenience there’s also a drop box in which you can leave your payment. MSOE accepts credit card payments (MasterCard, Discover, American Express) via fax at 414-277-4535, over the phone at 800-886-6763, and online at (click on the GO TO CASHNet Button).

Due to circumstances beyond MSOE’s control, the ACH (Electronic Check) payment option is temporarily unavailable. We will send out an email when the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience!

How to cover an outstanding balance
Do you have a hold on your account because of an outstanding balance? Here are some financing
options that may help:

  • H.E.L.P. Payment Plan (immediate release of hold)
    Payment plan that allows you to make affordable monthly payments.
    *Contact Kristie Bonney at 414-277-2231 to set up your plan today
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (minimum processing of 3 days)
    A federally insured loan for parents of dependent, undergraduate students. Parents can apply for a loan up to their student’s Cost of Attendance. In the case of a parent who is denied the PLUS Loan, the student will be awarded an additional $4,000-$5,000 Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Apply online:
  • Alternative/ Private Student Loan (minimum processing of 2 weeks)
    A credit based loan in the student’s name with a credit worthy co-signer. For a list of participating lenders visit our Alternative Loans page.

Exit Counseling is a tool to assist in walking you through all of the important steps of repaying your student loans.

Exit Counseling will cover:

  • The importance of having updated contact information on file with your lenders
  • When you will enter repayment on your loans
  • Your repayment options
  • Options if you are not able to make your loan payments

Perkins Loan and/or MSOE Loan borrowers should contact University Accounting Services with questions. Contact them online, or call (800) 999-6227. Private student loan borrowers should contact their private lenders directly, as well.

All New Students are required to fill out and submit a Financial Responsibility Acceptance Form and should also submit a Release of Student Financial Services Information Form (this form is optional). You must complete the following forms before you register for the Winter quarter:

1. Financial Responsibility Form (MANDATORY)
This form is required by the Federal Government and ALL STUDENTS MUST complete this form by September 1, 2012. You will only need to read through and sign off on the information once, however, if it is not completed a hold may be placed on your account and you will not be able to register for further quarters until this documentation has been reviewed, signed and submitted to the Student Accounts Office. If you have any questions as you are reading through the documentation, please contact the Student Accounts Office for further assistance.

If you would like to complete this form online, after reviewing the information, please print a copy for your records and CLICK ON THE FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ACCEPTANCE FORM TAB. You will be asked to fill out your name and accept the terms and conditions of the document you have just reviewed. If you need further assistance please contact the Student Accounts Office.

If you have not filled out this form, please check with the Student Accounts Office. Holds will be placed on all accounts of those individuals who have not submitted their form. You can submit your form in person, or electronically through

2. Release of Student Financial Services Information Form (OPTIONAL)
All students are encouraged to complete this form and submit it to the Student Accounts Office. This form allows both the Student Accounts and Financial Aid Offices to discuss your financial aid and student account information with the individual(s) or company(ies) you have authorized on the form. If our office does not have a signed form on file we will only give out financial information to YOU, the student. We will not even share your financial information with a parent, even if they are paying your bill, if they are not specifically authorized by you on the form.

This form can be changed at any time during your academic career at MSOE, however you are strongly encouraged to have an initial form on file with our office before classes begin. Please contact the Student Accounts Office with any questions or concerns.

Full-time enrollment must be maintained in order to remain eligible to receive MSOE gift aid including the MSOE Academic Scholarship. Full time enrollment is defined as being registered for 12 or more credits per quarter and is determined by your enrollment status as of 4:30 p.m. on Friday of week one of each quarter.

The MSOE Academic Scholarship may be extended to a sixth full-time year (up to 18 full-time quarters).

To maintain the MSOE Academic Scholarship, students must meet MSOE’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.  Students can view this policy online at

Please note that there is a separate MSOE Presidential Scholarship policy.  Recipients of MSOE Presidential Scholarship can contact the Financial Aid Office for a copy of this policy.

Students who have never received a MSOE Academic Scholarship, but are enrolled full-time or considering full-time enrollment and have achieved a CGPA of 2.5-3.0 will receive a scholarship in the amount of $6,000 for a full academic year. Students who have achieved a CGPA of 3.01-4.0 will receive a scholarship of $8,000 for a full academic year.

Students that are receiving private scholarships should turn in all checks to the Financial Aid Office. Donors can also send scholarship checks directly to our office at the following address: 1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, WI 53202. If the check is co-payable to both you and MSOE we will need you to endorse the scholarship check. All funds will be transferred to your student account during the 2nd week of classes. If the check is received after the 2nd week, the funds will be processed and applied to your account upon receipt.

Your financial aid eligibility and charges are based on your schedule as of Friday of week 1 at 4:30pm. Any changes made to your schedule after week 1 could potentially result in the loss of financial aid and/or an unexpected balance owed to MSOE. If you have any questions about how your schedule change will impact your financial aid award, please contact the Financial Aid Office first!

Dropping below full-time status: Undergraduate students not enrolled in at least 12 credits per quarter are ineligible to receive their MSOE scholarships or grants for that quarter. Federal and state grants will be prorated based on the student’s enrollment. If you drop below full-time status prior to Friday of week 1 at 4:30 pm you will be charged per credit. However, if you drop below full-time status after Friday of week 1 you will still be charged full-time tuition even though you are taking less than 12 credits.

Withdrawing from all classes: Students who withdraw from all classes after the first week of school may not be eligible to receive all of the financial aid that was initially awarded. Students who withdraw or stop attending all courses prior to completing a minimum of 60% of a quarter will be required to repay the “unearned portion” of the funds received. In addition, a portion of the award that was used to pay for tuition, fees, books, etc. may also need to be repaid to the school. This is a federal regulation and only applies to students who withdraw from all classes. This does not apply to students who successfully complete at least one course in the quarter. Please visit our Refund Policy page for more information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for MSOE Financial Aid Recipients: In accordance with federal regulations, financial aid recipients are required to complete a minimum percentage of credits attempted, as well as maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) that would lead to the attainment of a degree. Students must successfully complete at least 67% of cumulative credits attempted (this is also referred to as “pace”). Attempted credits include successfully completed credits (grades A-D), earned F’s, incompletes, withdrawals and courses that were grade replaced. Completed credits include successfully completed credits (grades A-D). Students must also maintain a 2.0 CGPA. Students who have not maintained a 2.0 CGPA or have not completed at least 67% of cumulative credits attempted at the end of a quarter will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. While on Financial Aid Warning, the student is still eligible for financial aid, but the student must reestablish a 2.0 CGPA or meet the minimum pace requirement by the end of their next quarter of attendance. If they do, the Financial Aid Warning is lifted; if they do not, their financial aid is suspended for their next quarter of attendance. Students can appeal the suspension of their financial aid. For a more thorough explanation of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, please visit our website.

Students are able to charge their textbook purchases, made at the MSOE Bookstore, to their MSOE student account and will be billed for these charges on a subsequent monthly invoice. Students must present their MSOE student ID to the bookstore when purchasing their textbooks. This purchasing method is available to students during the two weeks before the term begins through the Tuesday of the second week (Please note that you must wait at least 24 hours after you have registered before you can charge your books this way).

Students can only charge books and supplies to their account; students cannot charge MSOE apparel or souvenirs to their account. Book slips are a privilege, a service we gladly provide to our students. What a book slip is not, is a right! Anyone abusing the usage of a book slip, will have their privileges revoked. Please do not abuse this privilege.

Also keep in mind your book slip purchases will not be on the initial invoice you receive in the beginning of each quarter. The book charges will be on the second invoice sent after charges are posted during the 1st week of classes.

If you will need additional funding to cover a balance please try to secure these funds A.S.A.P. to ensure there are no delays in paying your Fall 2012 balance by September 17th. Approximate processing time for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan completed online and signed electronically is 3-4 days, while processing of a private student loan can take up to 30 days.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan: This loan is for the parent of a dependent, undergraduate student. Interest accrues upon disbursement at a rate of 7.9% (fixed). Parents can choose to defer payment on this loan until after their student graduates (or drops below half-time status). The Direct PLUS Loan is in the parent’s name only and cannot be transferred to the student’s name. The parent is the only person responsible for the repayment of this loan. A parent interested in borrowing this loan should apply online at

Private/alternative student loans: Private student loans are borrowed in the student’s name with a parent (or relative or friend) as the student’s co-signer. Interest accrues on private loans upon  disbursement but, unlike the Direct PLUS Loan, interest rates vary quarterly (or even monthly), have no interest rate cap and may have loan fees up to 6%. Some private loan lenders do offer a fixed interest rate option but this is not common.

Visit our Alternative Loans page for more information on private student loans. For the 2012-2013 school year, MSOE recommends 4 different private loans: Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan, Union Federal Private Student Loan, Wells Fargo Collegiate Loan and Charter One TruFit Student Loan.

Students who are awarded Federal Work Study for the 2012-2013 school year can apply for positions now. Please visit the Student Employment/Work-Study page for more information and to view all open positions. Students, whether awarded Federal Work-Study or not, are eligible to work on campus. Some positions may indicate *Must be eligible for Federal Work-Study*, in which case non work-study students are not eligible for these positions.

Application Process:

  1. View current job postings*
  2. Determine if you have been awarded work-study by visiting your “my Financial Aid” account. If you have not been awarded work-study you may still be eligible for a work-study position. Positions still available as of October 1, 2012 can be filled by a student who was not awarded work-study. Students who are not currently awarded work-study but are eligible may receive an email from our office in October indicating their eligibility and permission to apply for jobs at that time.
  3. Complete the Student Employment Application and apply for a position (make sure to attach the application to your inquiry).
  4. Contact the supervisor to determine their interview process and hiring timeline.
  5. Once hired you must complete the Student Employment Contractand necessary Human Resource paperwork before beginning employment.

    *Please note that the website is updated when Human Resources is notified to add and remove positions. If you apply for a position and do not get a response from the supervisor please check the website to see if the position is still available.

Students awarded a Federal Perkins Loan will be sent a Master Promissory Note (MPN) in the mail starting the week of June 18th. The envelope will be stamped “Important Loan Documents.” Please complete the MPN in its entirety and immediately return it to MSOE.

If you previously borrowed a Federal Perkins Loan while attending MSOE and completed your entrance counseling and MPN, you are NOT required to complete anything. Your Federal Perkins Loan will automatically be applied to your account in the amount indicated on your Financial Aid Award Offer.

For more information regarding Perkins Loans, please click here.

Log into myMSOE to view your financial aid award offer, access financial aid documents and much more! If you are a current MSOE student and you have been awarded for the 2012-2013 school year your award offer is available to view online. Check your MSOE email often as this is the only way our office communicates with current students.

Please note: If you are a returning student you are not required to actively “Accept” your award offer. You are only required to take further action if you choose to decline any portion of your award offer. You can do this online, or in writing by emailing

If you are an incoming MSOE student you will not have access to myMSOE until you are registered for classes by your Admissions advisor. Our office typically communicates with incoming students via mail only.

For assistance with any log-in issues, please contact the helpdesk at (414) 277-7288.

The final Tuition Balances are now past due!  Spring Tuition balances were due on April 15, 2012.  If you have not submitted your payment your account has been assessed a late payment fee and you have been sent an updated invoice reflecting your current balance due.  Keep in mind that if you still owe a balance on your student account, this balance must be paid in full before you will be allowed to register for any further quarters at MSOE. Fall 2012 Registration begins soon.  PLEASE DO NOT WAIT!!  To avoid any registration issues, please make your payment today!  If you have any questions about your account please contact our office at (414) 277-7130 or send us an e-mail to

H.E.L.P Payment Plan
Sign up today for next year!!!  MSOE’s in-house payment plan, H.E.L.P. (Helping Everyone Learn and Pay), offers students monthly payment plans for amounts due. The student determines how much of their balance they wish to divide into monthly payments. Any amount not covered by H.E.L.P. will be due when billed. Please note: the 12-month payment plan for the 2012-2013 school year will begin on June 1st, so if you’re interested in this option please sign up in May. For further information, contact Kristie Bonney, H.E.L.P. Administrator/Senior Collection Specialist @ 414-277-2231 or via e-mail @

Questions for Student Accounts and Helpful Answers:
Q: Can I register for classes if I still owe money on my Student Account?
A: No, School policy requires a zero balance in order to register for further terms at MSOE.

Q: How do I sign up for the HELP PLAN?
A: Call Kristie Bonney at 277-2231 for more information.

Q: When will Summer Tuition Bills be due?
A: Summer Tuition Invoices will be due by August 15, 2012.

Q: When will I get my Fall 2012 Invoice?
A: Fall 2012 Invoices will be mailed by August 1, 2012 with a due date of September 24, 2012.

As a student loan borrower, you will be mailed information regarding the loan totals you have accrued while attending MSOE. In addition to your loan totals, you will also receive directions for completing the required exit counseling.

We invite you to visit our office to complete the counseling in person or you can complete it online: click here to access Direct Loan Exit Counseling.

Exit Counseling is a tool to assist you with every step in the repayment process of your student loans, including:

  • The importance of having updated contact information on file with your lenders
  • When you will enter repayment on your loans
  • Your loan repayment options
  • Options if you are unable to make your loan payments

For questions regarding a Perkins Loan or MSOE loan, please contact your loan servicer, University Accounting Services (UAS), or call (800) 999-6227.

Filter Blog

By date:
By tag: