Veteran’s Information

Any student who served in the armed services of the United States, either regular services, Selected Reserves or National Guard may be eligible for some form of financial assistance. Dependents of veterans may also be eligible for benefits.  This assistance may come in the form of the Federal GI Bill, or other reimbursement programs.

yellow-ribbon-programThe Veteran’s Certifying Official for MSOE is Steve Midthun and is located in MSOE’s Financial Aid Office, CC-321, or by calling (414) 277-7223. MSOE has been approved for certifying training veterans under all public laws pertaining to veterans educational benefits.  Please click on each benefit to learn more about what it is and how to apply.  Please note that MSOE does not and cannot determine eligibility for veterans benefits; the VA determines all eligibility.

Chapter 33 Post – 9/11 GI Bill – Active Duty

Effective on or after August 1, 2009, this educational benefit program is for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  Active Duty program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Dependents of Service Members:  For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve

Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.  You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment is a program to assist veterans who have a service connected disability.

Chapter 35 Survivors & Dependents’ Educational Assistance

Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

The Wisconsin Veterans’ Education Grant (Vet ED)

Grant program provides a reimbursement grant for tuition and fees following successful course completion. Eligible Wisconsin veterans who have not yet been awarded a bachelor’s degree may use VetEd to pursue educational or vocational objectives up to a bachelor’s degree at an eligible UW, technical college, or approved private institution of higher education.

Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant

All Wisconsin National Guard enlisted members and warrant officers in good standing who do not possess a bachelor’s degree are eligible to receive the Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant. This benefit may be used toward eight semesters of your college undergraduate education.

Join the MSOE Veteran’s Social Group on Hub

Connect with MSOE’s Financial Aid staff as well as other MSOE students who have served in the Military to access resources, scholarship opportunities and to receive other useful information.

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office

(800) 778-7223

Student Accounts Office

(800) 886-6763

Have specific questions?
Financing your Education

Explore Why People Choose MSOE