Determine if the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is right for you
The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is a federal fixed rate loan for graduate students who have been approved, after a credit check is performed regardless of income or assets.
- The interest rate is fixed at 6.41%
- In addition to interest, you will also pay a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the principal amount of each Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan that you receive.
- Graduate students may borrow up to the cost of education minus any other financial aid they have already received.
- Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are scheduled to go into repayment six months after the student ceases at least half-time enrollment.
- Interest will accrue during the time the student is in school; however, payments to interest and/or principal can be paid during that time without penalty.
To receive the Federal Direct PLUS Loan:
Complete the FAFSA
Determine Federal Direct PLUS Loan Eligibility Amount
Complete Application process and sign promissory note
- In order to sign the Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan online, you must have received a PIN from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Review Your PLUS Loan History: National Student Loan Database System As a Parent loan borrower, you will also be able to review your PLUS loan history online at the National Student Loan Database System. Here, you can access your payment information, find your lender’s/servicer’s contact information, and review your rights and responsibilities.