The MSOE Intensive Academic ESL program prepares international students whose native language is not English for academic success in the Milwaukee School of Engineering. Course work provides a framework to accelerate and support student’s mastery of academic content and language skills in all four-language areas. The integrated program’s strategic based approach develops effective academic listening, fluent and accurate academic reading and writing, note taking, critical thinking, and test-taking skills with solid academic vocabulary integration throughout all content areas. Emphasis is given to the use of higher level thinking skills within cross-curricular units based on authentic college level academic textbooks.
Students enrolled in this program will study academic reading and writing, academic listening and speaking, contextualized intensive grammar, intensive composition, academic and professional conversational strategies, and professional vocabulary targeting main academic disciplines offered in MSOE such as engineering, business and nursing. Among other skills students will also learn how to write college level academic research papers and how to deliver effective academic and professional presentations. Attention is paid to the student’s cultural awareness in the academic environment.
RCAS offers assistance to all international students at MSOE through Academic Transitions. Students can receive help in one-on-one sessions and/or group sessions which are scheduled and created according to the needs of the student. In these sessions, we can teach you about the English language (grammar, writing, pronunciation, listening, and conversation), study skills, or American culture and expectations. Sessions typically last between 30-60 minutes and although we accept walk-in appointments, it is usually better to make your appointment in advance. To make an appointment, please contact Mark Fischer at email@example.com. Click here. for more information on RCAS
Please note that by beginning in the Bridge Program, the student’s program of study at the undergraduate level will be lengthened as the ESL courses do not count towards completion of their undergraduate degree.
To enroll in the MSOE Bridge Program, you must have met the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
iBT TOEFL: 72-81, with a minimum band of 17
IELTS: 6.0, with a minimum band of 5.5
To make an appointment, please contact: Mark Fischer.
RW – Academic Reading and Writing
LS – Academic Listening and Speaking
IG – Intensive Grammar
RP – Academic Research Paper (Advanced Levels)
ELECTIVES: Academic Conversation Strategies, Professional Presentations, Academic Vocabulary: Engineering, Nursing & Business, Idioms
CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT: ACADEMIC VOCABULARY CLASSES FOR MATHEMATICS & SCIENCES
- The EAP ESL Program has 3 proficiency bands: Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate and Advanced.
- Each proficiency band is comprised of 2 levels labeled as Low and High for a total of 6 different levels.
- Core Program of Studies include listening, speaking, reading, writing, intensive, grammar, academic research papers, and an integrated interactive language laboratory class
- Elective courses by level include Intensive Writing, Conversation, Idioms, Academic Discussions, Professional Vocabulary and Professional Academic Presentations.
- EAP ESL class sizes can range from 10 to 12 students per class.
- An overall GPA of 77% or higher
- Passing scores of 77% or more in all core- classes final examinations
- Completion of an academic college level research paper with the corresponding oral presentation of major and significant findings
- Minimum completion of the Advanced Level program at MSOE-ESL