FAQ’s Regarding Probation

Definition of Probation Status
You are placed on academic probation when your term GPA, cumulative GPA OR cumulative major GPA are below 2.00.

What does it mean to be on probation?
Probation is an academic warning. It is a good time to reflect on what changes need to be made to ensure you will be more successful next term. Since both a 2.00 cumulative and cumulative major GPA are required for graduation, anytime your GPA is below that minimum level, we put you on probation as a warning. If you have two terms in a row below the 2.00 level, you will be suspended from MSOE and will need to write an appeal letter to continue as a student.

How does this affect me?
All traditional freshmen who are on academic probation after their fall or winter term are required to participate in a non-credit class called Pathways to Academic Student Success (PASS). The course number is OR1911.

Students on probation may not be enrolled in more than four courses. However, we make an exception for students in the PASS class because it is a non-credit course. This means that you can take OR1911 in addition to four other courses.

We encourage you to meet with your advisor prior to deciding which course(s) to drop since choosing the wrong course may cause prerequisite problems in future terms. Students on probation are given a limit to the number of classes they can take so they can concentrate on fewer classes, improve their grades and regain their good standing status.

How does a change of program affect academic status?
Academic status is determined base on the GPA earned for each term. This earned GPA is not affected by having courses removed from the calculation of your GPA because of a change of program; therefore, you are still on probation even if your GPA has been altered due to a change of program.

I failed a class last term; now what should I do?
Often, failing a class will cause you some prerequisite issues in future terms. You cannot be enrolled in a course if you failed the prerequisite. Prerequisites are listed in the course description section of the Academic Catalog. If you have questions regarding prerequisites, please review your schedule with your advisor to be sure you are in compliance with this policy.

I had a grade change; do I still have to drop a class?

If you have had a grade change that raises all of your GPAs above 2.00, please contact the Registrar so your status can be re-evaluated. If, your status is changed to ‘Good Standing’ by Friday of the first week of the quarter, you will not be required to drop a class. If you have a grade change pending that will not be resolved by the end of the first week, please contact the Registrar.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that I will do better next term and get off probation?
Yes! You will learn many helpful strategies in the PASS class, so it is important to be an active participant in the class. The class will help you develop study skills that you may not have needed in high school, and it connects you to resources on campus that will help you throughout your college career. You can be successful; you just need to change your habits and dedicate yourself to your academic success.

In addition to the PASS class, MSOE has many other resources available to help you be successful.

For help with: Contact:
Depression or other wellness issues Counseling Services (277-7590)
Determining if you are in the correct major for you Counseling Services (277-7590) or your advisor or program director
Financial Issues Counseling Services (277-7590) or Financial Assistance (277-7223)
Effective note-taking techniques Raider Center for Academic Success (277-7336)
Personal, family or relationship issues Counseling Services (277-7590)
Tips to improve your study skills Raider Center for Academic Success (277-7336)
Substance abuse issues Counseling Services (277-7590)
Test taking strategies Counseling Services (277-7590) or Raider Center for Academic Success (277-7336)
Strategies to improve your time management Counseling Services (277-7590) or Raider Center for Academic Success (277-7336)
Figuring out a plan of change for the upcoming term Counseling Services (277-7590)
Course content and tutoring Raider Center for Academic Success (277-7274)

Who should I contact if I still have questions?

Mary Nielsen
Registrar and Chairperson of the Student Advancement Committee
(414) 277-7216

Raider Center Hours

Writing Center and drop-in tutoring available while Raider Center is open.

Mon-Thurs: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Saturday: Closed

Sunday: 5 p.m. - 9 p.m.

MSOE Videos

Men's Volleyball: MSOE vs Fontbonne


Kern Center, 1245 N Broadway, Milwaukee, WI


Men's Volleyball: MSOE vs Mount St. Joseph


Kern Center, 1245 N Broadway, Milwaukee, WI


Men's Volleyball: MSOE vs Carthage


Kern Center, 1245 N Broadway, Milwaukee, WI


Explore Why People Choose MSOE