As you pursue full-time, part-time and internship opportunities, it’s likely you will be faced with remote interviewing techniques such as phone interviews*. Phone interviews are similar to in-person interviews, but have their own unique challenges. These tips will help you master the phone interview and move on to the next round!
Phone Interview Tips
- Dress in the same attire as through you were going to an in-person interview.
- Make sure your interview location is free from distractions or other noise, close doors if necessary and turn off other phones (cell phones, pagers, PDA, iPod).
- Keep a copy of your resume and other interview materials in front of you.
- Have a writing tool and paper ready for notes.
- If interviewing with more than one person over the phone, write the names of each interviewer on your notepad. This will help you visualize responding to the interview team.
- If possible, turn off call waiting.
- Practice with a friend or family member. Have someone call you and ask you interview questions over the phone.
- Speak clearly and confidently.
- Take your time. Don’t rush your answers.
*In addition to phone interviews, you are highly encouraged to utilize Montage Talent. Montage Talent allows you to conduct live video conference interviews with a webcam.