Hub is only three months old and has already gone through a lot of exciting changes thanks to the feedback from students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends in the community. Because Hub is all about community and collaboration, we've decided to blog about all of the exciting changes and updates that the site has seen (and will see) in the days, weeks and months ahead. We've gathered the most common concerns, wishes, reported problems and suggestions are pleased to say most of them are addressed on the site. Those that are not yet fixed are currently being worked on and we’ll be sure to keep you posted. Here are the Hub updates in no particular order…
- Improved search functionality. The number one concern we received about Hub was that the search functionality didn't return queries the way users prefer. The search has been updated and will now return results in 4 categories in the following order: pages, content, places and people. Pages refer to any static content page in msoe.edu. Content refers to any content in Hub (polls, blogs, documents, discussions etc.) Places refer to social groups and spaces and people refers to all registered users in Hub.
- Updated launch pad. Speaking of search, there was quite a concern from the community with having difficulty finding the IT page on the website. We've fixed that for good. Now, all students, faculty and staff have an IT icon on their launch pad in Hub taking them directly to the IT webpage.
- Single sign on updates. Speaking of the launch pad, the IT department is currently putting the finishing touches on the single sign on capabilities for the site. Soon you will be able to access my.msoe, blackboard and other sites without having to log in to them as long as you are logged into Hub (which you can be for up to 8 hours.)
- Academic Calendar page. We had a lot of feedback from users not being able to easily access the Academic Calendar. We have re-tagged this page and now it is the first page returned when searching for “academic calendar.”http://www.msoe.edu/community/campus-life/student-resources/page/2322/academic-calendar We've also added a new category to the main university calendar titled "Key Dates and Examinations. Now you can find all important university dates and download them to your personal calendar. http://www.msoe.edu/event-calendar
- Groups.msoe.edu. As a reminder to all students, MSOE will be decommissioning groups.msoe.edu over the holiday break. We have Hub training sessions all week long to assist students with on boarding, creating accounts and learning the site. Hub training is in the Office of Digital Marketing which is located in the same office area as Admissions and Financial Aid on the 3rd floor of the CC. No appointment is necessary. You can also set up a meeting at your convenience by emailing email@example.com
- Requesting a Social Group on Hub. As a reminder, if you need to request a social group for hub, you can do it here: http://www.msoe.edu/community/help/page/2277/request-a-group
Keep your eyes out for the Hub Update Blog every other Wednesday (make sure to bookmark or follow it) Thanks for all of your constructive feedback. Keep the conversation going by posting your thoughts and suggestions here!