All software engineering students are encouraged to meet with their advisor whenever they have questions regarding their academic and career plans. SE students must see their advisor quarterly to discuss academic and career plans and progress. They must receive their advisors' clearance before registering; the online registration system enforces this.
You can meet with your advising before you receive your quarterly registration notice from the Registrar, so do not wait until the last week!
Advising season typically starts in week 7. Many advisors will post sign-up sheets with available advising slots their office door. Please sign up for one of these slots; signing up early will give you a wider choice of times. Some advisors will notify you of other appointment procedures (e.g., Outlook) or walk-in advising hours.
What to bring to the meeting with your advisor
- A copy of the SE curriculum flowchart or curriculum track for your curriculum version marked with the courses you have successfully completed (or about to complete successfully this quarter).
- Your preliminary plans for the next quarter's schedule (information on planned electives: Tentative EECS elective courses in 2014-15)
- Any questions you may have
The MSOE Registrar keeps track of the advisor assigned to each student. If you are not sure who your advisor is, you can find out by following these steps.
- Log in to my.msoe.edu
- Click Personal Info (next to your name in the top bar)
- Click Academic Info within the My Info window
- Your advisors will be listed in the first section.
A two-degree track for a combined CE/SE dual major is available. This track follows a 5 year plan, but students have accelerated the course sequence and finished in one or two quarters beyond 4 years. Please see your advisor or CE program director (Dr. Durant) for more information.
Closed Section Requests
If you are unable to construct a schedule with all of the courses you need, you will need to follow the closed section request policy for the given course. Details here.