Tips for a Successful Career Fair Experience
Preparing for the Career Fair:
- Employers expect you to be professional, able to initiate conversation, and able to communicate your goals, interests, and strengths.
- Prepare a one minute commercial about yourself that includes your academic successes, activities, work experience, skills, and career goals. This is essentially what you would say when asked to “Tell me about yourself.”
During the Career Fair:
- Dress professionally! (Treat it as an interview). Be positive, confident and friendly.
- Show interest in the company by asking a question or two.
- Present a concise, error free, resume with a focused objective and qualifications.
After the Career Fair:
- Send a thank you letter within 48 hours to company representatives with whom you feel you have made a positive connection.
- Continue to follow-up with the representatives periodically in order to maintain that positive connection.