|Biography:|| I am an associate professor at Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE). I teach in and am the director of the computer engineering program. I also have the honor of advising two of MSOE's great student organizations, SCOE Robotics and the Photography Club.
During the summers I am a DSP Research Engineer at Starkey Hearing Technologies in Eden Prairie, MN and Berkeley, CA. My research includes using genetic algorithms to efficiently fit audio processing parameters in hearing aids (US patent 7650004), robust perceptual rank inferencing (US patent 8359283), beamforming, and convex optimization. At Johnson Controls (1996–1998), I worked on Internet technologies, GIS, and building control interfaces.
I earned bachelor's degrees in electrical engineering and computer engineering from MSOE. I earned my master's degree and PhD in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan and the Executive Master in Business Administration (MBA) at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.
I am a senior member of the IEEE (S'93 M'02 SM'06) and a member of both the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) (M'02) and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (M'12).
|Work Address:|| 1025 N Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202
|Preferred Contact Method:|
|Department:||Electrical Engineering and Computer Science|
|Title:||CE Program Director; Professor|
|Education:|| Executive MBA, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 5/2011
PhD / Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1/2002
MSE / Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 12/1999
BS / Computer Engineering, with High Honors, Milwaukee School of Engineering, 5/1998
BS / Electrical Engineering, with High Honors, Milwaukee School of Engineering, 5/1998
|Honors and Awards:|| STEM Forward Young Engineer of the Year (2013)
Finalist for MSOE Oscar Werwath Distinguished Teacher Award (2012)
|Publications:|| === Patents granted ===
* US Patent 8359283 issued January, 2013: Deniz Baskent and Eric A. Durant, “Genetic algorithms with robust rank estimation for hearing assistance devices.”
* US Patent 7650004 issued January, 2010: Eric A. Durant, “Hearing aids and methods and apparatus for audio fitting thereof.”
=== Patents pending ===
* Application serial number pending, 899.360US1 (HR20121376), Karrie Recker and Eric A. Durant, “<title withheld pending USPTO publication>,” filed approximately September 14, 2013.
* Application serial number 61/412,610, application number pending, Eric A. Durant, Ivo Merks, William S. Woods, Jinjun Xiao, Tao Zhang, and Zhi-Quan Luo, “Efficient convex optimization for real-time robust beamforming with microphone arrays,” ASN assigned November 11, 2010.
* Application serial number 61/394,872, application number pending, Eric A. Durant, Ivo Merks, William S. Woods, Jinjun Xiao, Tao Zhang, and Zhi-Quan Luo, “Efficient convex optimization for real-time robust beamforming with microphone arrays,” (separate from the November filing despite the same title) ASN assigned October 20, 2010.
* Application serial number 12/651154, application 20100172524: Eric A. Durant, “Hearing aids and methods and apparatus for audio fitting thereof.” (separate from the patent issued in 2010 despite the same title), filed December 31, 2009.
=== Invited presentations ===
* Henry Welch, Deepti Suri, and Eric Durant, “Using Targeted Assessments to Satisfy Achievement of Program Outcomes,” Best Assessment Processes (BAP) IX, April, 2007, Terre Haute, IN.
* Eric A. Durant, Gregory H. Wakefield, Dianne J. VanTasell, and Martin E. Rickert, “Hearing Aid Fitting with a Genetic Algorithm,” International Hearing Aid Research Conference (IHCON), August, 2002, Lake Tahoe, CA.
=== Invited papers ===
* Henry Welch, Deepti Suri, and Eric Durant, “Rubrics for Assessing Oral Communication in the Capstone Design Experience: Development, Application, Analysis and Refinement,” International Journal of Engineering Education (IJEE), 25(5), 2010
=== Special sessions ===
* E Durant, J Impagliazzo, S Conry, A McGettrick, M Thornton, T Wilson, Computer Engineering Curriculum Guidelines Pre-conference Workshop, Proceedings of the Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), to be presented October, 2013, Oklahoma City, OK.
* Eric Durant, John Impagliazzo, Susan Conry, Andrew McGettrick, Mitch Thornton, and Timothy Wilson, “Special Session: CE2004 Revisions (Computer Engineering Curriculum Guidelines),” Frontiers in Education (FIE) Conference, October 6, 2012, Seattle, WA.
* John Impagliazzo, Susan Conry, Eric Durant, Andrew McGettrick, Timothy Wilson, and Mitch Thornton, “Special Session: Computer Engineering Review Task Force Report,” ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE) Conference, March 2, 2012, Raleigh, NC.
=== Journal papers ===
* Eric A. Durant, Gregory H. Wakefield, Dianne J. VanTasell, and Martin E. Rickert, “Efficient Perceptual Tuning of Hearing Aids with Genetic Algorithms,” IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 12, no. 2, March, 2004.
* Eric A. Durant and Gregory H. Wakefield, “Efficient model fitting using a genetic algorithm: Pole-zero approximations of HRTFs,” IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 10, no. 1, January, 2002.
Please see my CV for a more complete list including conference publications.
|Member Since:||Aug 27, 2013|
|Tags:||support_msoe campus_events academic_programs milwaukee_life fitness_exercise human_resource_information building_my_network https://faculty-web.msoe.edu/durant/|