|Work Address:|| 1025 N Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202
|Preferred Contact Method:|
|Department:||Physics and Chemistry|
|Education:|| 2011-12 Postdoc Training
Department of Biomedical Engineering and College of Medicine, The Ohio State University
2011 Ph. D in Biomedical Engineering University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
2008 M. S. in Food Science
University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, Shanghai, China.
2005 B. S. in Food Science and Engineering University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, Shanghai, China.
Minor: Engineering Management (Tongji University, Shanghai, China)
|Honors and Awards:|| 2014 Karl O. Werwath Engineering Research Award, MSOE (finalist)
2014 Falk Engineering Educator Award, MSOE (finalist)
2011 Travel Award (NSF CBET) and Ph.D Level Student Paper Competition (finalist), 2011 ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, PA
2011 Nominated for Dean’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Study, University of South Carolina
2010 Poster Award, 12th Annual Conference of the North Carolina Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Society, Co-author
2009 Excellent Thesis/Dissertation Award, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
2008 Outstanding Graduate Award, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
2007 The Academic Star of Graduate Students (ranked 1st), University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
2002 – 2007 Excellent Student Award and Scholarship, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
|Publications:|| Selected Publications:
1. Wujie Zhang, Kirsten Mary Mahuta, Brandon Anthony Mikulski, Jenna Nicole Harvestine, James Zachary Crouse, Jung Chull Lee, Matey Georgiev Kaltchev, Charles Samuel Tritt. Novel pectin-based carriers for colonic drug delivery. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology; 2014.
2. Jenna Harvestine, Brandon Mikulski, Kirsten Mahuta, Zachary Crouse, Xiaoru Guo, Jung Lee, Katarina Midelfort, Junhong Chen, and Wujie Zhang. A Novel Red Blood Cell-Shaped Pectin-Oligochitosan Hydrogel System. Particle and Particle Systems Characterization; 2014,31(9):955-9.
3. Shuting Zhao, Pranay Agarwal, Wei Rao, Haishui Huang, Renliang Zhang, Zhenguo Liu, Jianhua Yu, Noah Weisleder, Wujie Zhang, and Xiaoming He. Coaxial electrospray of liquid core-hydrogel shell microcapsules for encapsulation and miniaturized 3D culture of pluripotent stem cells. Integrative Biology; 2014, 6:874-84.
4. Wei Rao, Wujie Zhang, Izmarie Poventud-Fuentes, Yongchen Wang, Yifeng Lei, Benjamin Weekes, Chenglong Li, Xiongbin Lu, Jianhua Yu, and Xiaoming He. Thermally Responsive Nanoparticle-Encapsulated Curcumin and Its Combination with Mild Hyperthermia for Enhanced Cancer Cell Destruction. Acta Biomaterialia; 2014, 10 (2), 831-842.
5. Pranay Agarwal, Shuting Zhao, Peter Bielecki, Wei Rao, Jung K. Choi, Yi Zhao, Jianhua Yu, Wujie Zhang, and Xiaoming He. One-Step Microfluidic Generation of Pre-Hatching Embryo-Like Core-Shell Microcapsules for Miniaturized 3D Culture of Pluripotent Stem Cells. Lab on a Chip; 2013, 13(23): 4525-33.
6. Wujie Zhang et. al.. A novel core-shell microcapsule for encapsulation and 3D culture of embryonic stem cells. Journal of Materials Chemistry B; 2013, 1(7): 1002-9.
7.Wang Jifu, Yungpin Chen, KejianYao, Perry Wilbon, Wujie Zhang, Lixia Ren, Juhua Zhou, Mitzi Nagarkatti, Chunpeng Wang, Fuxiang Chu, Xiaoming He, Alan W. Decho and Chuanbing Tang. Robust antimicrobial compounds and polymers derived from resin acids. Chemical Communications; 2012, 48: 916-8.
8. Wujie Zhang and Xiaoming He. Microencapsulating and banking living cells for cell-based medicine. Journal of Healthcare Engineering; 2011, 2(4): 427-46.
9. Kejian Yao, Jifu Wang, Wujie Zhang, James S. Lee, Chunpeng Wang, Fuxiang Chu, Xiaoming He and ChuanbingTang. Degradable Rosin Ester-Caprolactone Graft Copolymers. Biomacromolecules; 2011, 12: 2171-7.
10. Wujie Zhang et.al.. Synthesis and characterization of thermally responsive Pluronic F127-Chitosan nanocapsules for controlled release and intracellular delivery of small molecules. ACS Nano; 2010, 4(11): 6747-59.
11. Wujie Zhang et.al.. Preferential vitrification of water in small alginate microcapsules significantlyaugments cell cryopreservation by vitrification. Biomedical Microdevices; 2010, 12(1): 89-96.
12. Wujie Zhang and Xiaoming He. Encapsulation of living cells in small (~100 µm) alginate microcapsules by electrostatic spraying: a parametric study. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering; 2009, 131(7): 074515
|Areas of Specialization / Expertise:||Biopolymers; Stem-Cell Based Medicine; Tissue Engineering; Drug Delivery; Bionanotechnology and Nanobiotechnology; Cancer Treatment|
|Member Since:||Aug 27, 2013|