6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2013 6:15 PM by Fred Blessinger RSS

Textbooks

Becky Jeffers
Visibility: Open to anyone

Popular question of the day by incoming students, "When is the best time to buy my books? Can I wait until welcome week?"Kathy Griesmaier

• Re: Textbooks
    Kathy Griesmaier

The best time is now.  Go on our website at www.bookstore.msoe.edu and reserve your books and then pick them up during Welcome Week.  There is contact information on our website.  Let us know if any questions come up.

Thank you!

Megan Waelti

I would suggest to students that they wait until Welcome Week!  As a former student, I always found it helpful to attend classes before going to purchase my books as long as the professor did not request that we have them already.  Sometimes MSOE professors use online study tools or free text materials.  However, I would ALWAYS advise a student purchase their major specific texts that they know they will be referencing throughout their career!  Otherwise renting books is a great resource on campus too!

Becky Jeffers

Megan Waelti

There isn't necessarily a right or wrong way to go about it!  It really does depend on the student and their preference!  Organization and time management are key coming into college!

Chaning Ogden

Megan Waelti hit it on the head. I remember getting my books as soon as I knew my class schedule. I ended up only using a few of those books. It is always ideal to always be prepared, but sometimes that ate a lot of the little green my pockets carried. Thought it was helpful to go to class and see what books were required, sometimes the bookstore was out by that time. Trying to buy it online can sometimes be fruitful, and renting is certainly an option, but having study materials readily available can be extremely necessary. So, here are a few guidelines that students might be able to relate to.

• You will want a book for any major course related to your degree. It is easier to obtain info with a book and you won't always be in class. I was a CE. Any math, physics and electrical courses are a pretty safe bet. These books will have charts, graphs, appendixes, and imagery that will be referenced frequently.
      • Physics labs almost always have supplemental material
      • Electronics labs will require materials that will take some time to acquire
      • Courses related to law, writing, psychology, sociology, and general studies are usually more lenient in material demands. These class were easier to share materials, or even had their own supplemental materials that didn't demand the book.
    Patrick Van Handel

I would even wait until the first week of class!

Fred Blessinger

If you are buying from the bookstore you can wait until the last minute - if you are going through Amazon, Chegg, etc. then you will want to order them as soon as you know what books you need in order to get them in time for the first week of class.  Learned that lesson in the Winter Quarter (unfortunately).