3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2013 3:07 PM by Andrew Roberts RSS

Entry Requirements

Sebastian Montoya
Visibility: Open to anyone

Hello, I am a Senior in high school and really interested in majoring in Software Engineering. I noticed MSOE requires a Pre-Calc minimum for math and I have taken the class prior to this year. I am currently enrolled in an AP Statistics course at my school. Would taking it my Senior year for a 4th year of math be recommended for my major? Necessary for entry? Thank you!

• Re: Entry Requirements
    Andrew Roberts

Hey there, I'm a sophmore Software Engineering Major this year so I'll let you in on the info. Coming in with Pre-Calc complete will be absolutely fine. I know quite a few people who came in with that and the transition into Calc 1 was not hard for a lot of people. If you have the option though, I would recommend taking AP Calculus as it will allow you to skip that first Calc I class and then even Calc II here is basically covered in AP Calc so I was able to breeze through it my first quarter.

Having said that, AP Stats is still a great thing to come in with. I don't believe it allows you to get out of taking a Prob and Stats class here (Which I took last year also) but you'll know the material like the back of your hand then and breeze through that as well.

If the Class Path for Software Engineers doesn't change for incoming freshman from last year under our new department head, something to keep in mind is that we are required to take a TON of math classes, so much so that we only have to take 3 more math classes for a minor on our own. Something to keep in mind, since coming in with AP credits gets you ahead and allows you some free time to fit in those extra math credits no problem and basically get a free minor.

If you have any other questions about the program, feel free to message me and I'll help with what I can.

Sebastian Montoya

Thank you so much Andrew. I greatly appreciate it! Do you know if they could reject me for not taking a 4th year of math? I doubt I could get into any other math class this far into the year so I am not looking to change. Also for the path of my major, I would eventually have to take a Statistics class down the road, but would one in high school be related to the kinds of statistics I would learn for Software Engineering?

Andrew Roberts

I don't know for sure, but as long as you have Pre-Calc complete and are ready to take Calc I when you get here, you should be just fine. You could also send an email over to admissions just to be sure if you'd like.

As for the Statistics class, it's laid out to be taken Spring quarter of your freshman year. My roommate and another floormate had both taken AP Stats and they said it was almost exactly the same material. It seems to vary from professor to professor though. I had Dr. Jorgensen and we touched on Calc based Stats but then never saw them again, even on tests but some students who took a different professor had to test on them. Either way, by Spring when you take the class you should be done with Calc II anyways.