8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2013 9:58 AM by Charles Tritt RSS

Presentation Seating

Charles Tritt

I'm wondering how we should work the seating tonight at the junior presentations. Here is what I mean by this. To get teams on and off the stage efficiently, it would make sense for each team to set together. On the other hand, one of the main reasons for having the dinner event is to get people to mix - families, IEEE members, faculty, juniors, seniors, etc. - so it would make sense to spread the teams apart.

At a minimum, I want the faculty and seniors to spread out among the tables (we're expecting about 83 people and there will be seating for 90 so most of the tables will be full).

My question is, should the teams sit together or apart? Another option would be for teams to sit together during the presentations but then spread out as people go to the buffet to get their food. But, would this cause too much confusion as people returned to where they had been sitting and found someone in their spot? Could I handle this with an announcement at the beginning and again when we break for the meal?

Please post your thoughts here.

• Re: Presentation Seating
    Stephan Ehr

I think it would be better to sit together as a team both before and after the presentation. That way we can get on and off the stage efficiently, with no confusion. After the presentation as well so if there are any additional questions or people want to talk to us a group we are all together.

Stephan

Brittany Callan

I think it would be better for teams to be seated separately during the dinner so that everyone will have a better chance to mix and interact with the different groups of people present.  Also, I feel like having everyone sit together before the dinner and then move seats afterwards would most likely be a hassle. While teams being seated together during presentations would be more efficient, larger 6 person teams being seated together during the dinner might exclude other people from interacting with them.

Charles Tritt

I think you now see why I threw this out on the Hub. The best solution is not obvious.

Sean McGarry

My parents are coming and will both want to be sitting with me, it's a 90 minute drive from home and I'd like to spend a few hours with them if I have the opportunity.

As every teams presentation has 3 minutes of questions and 2 minutes to swap prior to the beginning of the following presentation I feel like the most effective solution would be to have team 2 come to the stage as team 1 finishes their presentation. Team 2 would then wait in the wings on the side of the stage while team 1 answers questions. When team 2's 2 minutes of 'computer change' time begins they're already right by the stage, cutting down on swapping time. I don't feel like 3-6 people moving towards the front of the room during the questioning period is a significant enough drawback to outweigh the benefits this solution would give; namely, we can sit by our families without delaying the schedule of the presentations.

Charles Tritt

Teams will be sitting together until after they present and then are free to spread out. The major spread out will occur when we go to the buffet during the dinner break. To minimize confusion, this will be mentioned in the open remarks and when we release people for dinner.