3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 9:42 AM by Paul Fabian RSS

Laptop program opt out?

John Wagner

As a business student I kinda feel like the whole laptop program is a scam.  There are really no specific software titles we need compared to other majors and even though business students have a different type of laptop than everyone else I still feel like it isn't that great. For example, the screen on mine has a white spot show up near the middle on all light backgrounds and someone else I know in the business program can't connect to the school wifi half the time.  I feel like there needs to be a way to opt out and give students the option to furnish their own computers.

• Re: Laptop program opt out?
    Mitch Trewyn

With many of the students on campus we need access to programs for our majors, whether that student is an Engineering, Nursing or Business student.  I am Management Information Systems, so business.  The expensive part of our computer program is the programs that we need generally, which you would not be able to use with your own computer.  This is why the computer program is mandatory for full-time students.

With that being said, you are more than welcome to bring or use your own computer in your classrooms.  As far as your screen issue and the wifi issue, you are also paying for IT for situations like this when you do have issues.  For this reason alone I will have to disagree with your statement of the program being a 'scam'.  IT is a tool just like your laptop, don't be afraid to use it.

Shawna Ferguson

John,

From an IT perspective, you are not technically in a 'laptop program'. You are in a 'technology program'. In that program you have access to a laptop, and software programs. Additionally you have the ability to print, use Wireless and Wired network connections, have access to email, storage space as well as the use of the MSOE IT Helpdesk. That being said, if you or any of your classmates are having issues with your machine, I encourage you to visit the Helpdesk in S-301 as this is included in the cost of your technology fee. Also included in this fee would be any replacement parts, so if your screen needs to be replaced, it will be done at no additional cost to you.

At this point in time, a laptop is a mandatory part of the program for full time students. While we are considering options at this time to allow students the ability to bring their own machines, at this time there is no ETA on that change. I do apologize that you feel that your are involved in a scam, but I can assure you that you are not. If you are ever able to compare what other schools provide in their technology fee, you will find that we are not only on par, but what we offer at no additional cost to you is more than what other schools offer at this time.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Shawna Ferguson

Director - Technology Support Services

Paul Fabian

John,

Please let me know where and what types of problems you are having connecting to the wifi. make sure you are using the MSOE wifi and not MSOE-Guest, as authorized traffic is prioritized over Guest, and Guest wifi is intentionally limited in bandwidth and access.

Thanks