5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 10:32 PM by Yvonne Yaz RSS

Actuarial Science

Peter Yim

Hi,

I was looking up information about actuaries, but I was confused with all the societies and the different actuarial tracks there are.  When you apply to a college, does that college determine which track you choose as an actuary or is it the tests that matter?

• Re: Actuarial Science
    Mandy Runnalls

Hey Peter!  At least for MSOE, I do not believe you would have to choose any sort of track within actuary right away, typically that comes around Junior year for our students.

I'm going to have Dr. Yvonne Yaz weigh in on this though as she is our Actuarial Science Program Director!

Mandy Runnalls

Also in addition, correct me if I am wrong Dr. Yaz, there are two societies (different names but they give the same exam!) that you could take an exam with and that is done Junior year.  It also sounds like once you get those done and get your job that companies understand that you have more exams to take and are pretty good with helping you get materials to study as well as time to study!

Yvonne Yaz

Peter,

This is Yvonne Yaz, I guess I missed your question. If you can repeat it to me, the I may be able to help you.

Dr. Yaz

Peter Yim

Hi Dr. Yaz,

My questions is does the college you choose determine what type of actuarial track you work at?

- Peter

Yvonne Yaz

Hi Peter,

No it is up to you. If the students get an opportunity of trying different areas, such as casualty, health, pension, or financial institutions throughout their internship, that may help them to determine their direction in the future. As you may know the first two exams, which are kind of a requirement lately, to find a job, have nothing to do with the tracks. The later exams are more specific to the track an AS professional chooses.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Dr. Yaz