7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 11:17 PM by Jacob McKay RSS

Proposed Game Development Group/Club/Gathering/Org/Team/Unit/Squad/Force

Jacob McKay

I'm a senior SE student here and I was wondering what the process is for starting a student org.  I've been getting into game development lately and I'm willing to bet there are a few others here that would like to at least get their toes wet in that area.  Where do I start?

• Re: Proposed Game Development Group/Club/Gathering/Org/Team/Unit/Squad/Force
    Brody Brown

Luckily for you the student handbook PDF was posted 3 items below this discussion in my activities stream. Here is the link, check page 21. http://www.msoe.edu/docs/DOC-3422 If you do get this up and running I would love to be a part of it, though don't you think it is a little late to be bringing this up seeing as how you will be graduating this summer? Or are you staying on with the Master's degree program?

Jacob McKay

Thanks for the link.  I'll be submitting an annual registration form, finding an advisor, and composing a roster over the next week(s).  I'll be around here til next November and I definitely wouldn't mind staying involved as an alumnus.  Back in the day when I was looking for a college to go to I saw on the MSOE website under the description for their software engineering degree program that: (and I quote) "...software engineering is making video games!"  and in the fine print they casually mentioned what I'd actually be learning for the next four years of my life.

I'm not bitter about it because I believe I have learned an invaluable skill and I've also thoroughly enjoyed learning from all of the professors I've been lucky enough to have taken (either by choice or fate) (except for maybe one or two!). And to be honest it's my fault I'm not making video games right now.  MSOE has prepared me to be fully capable of making good video games, but one of my biggest (of the many, MANNNNNY) mistakes I've made as a student here over the years was that I didn't practice or work on my own projects outside of my studies.  With this org I can (kind of) make up for that over the time I have left and maybe steer some new blood in the right direction.

Depending on the scope that this org reaches/operates on, I feel there are many potential benefits to be gained by the org's members and possibly MSOE in its entirety.  If members come for a meeting or two to **** around and talk about video games, saying "it'd be cool if this..." and "BF4  > COD because..." and nothing gets done then that'd be a shame.  But if we actually get a few projects off the ground, regardless of whether or not they suck in the end, members will be introduced to concepts they will likely encounter in their studies and in industry.  Newbies would get their first crack at software process, gain experience coding in different languages, interface with different API's, learn a bit about HCI, and most importantly they would get an opportunity to work on something they enjoy that is related to their field outside of their studies.

Alas, I am not just a great big generous and caring fella, and I do have my own selfish motivations.  It takes a team to make a great game (by my standards at least), and this group would facilitate the networking so that I may assemble that team.  I get all kinds of ideas (too much for one person IMO, but don’t think I’m full of myself as I will admit the majority of them are probably ****) and I cannot alone do all the things I want to do (much to my dismay). This org will in part be an attempt to have at least one of my visions come to light that I’ve been toying with over the years, and it could do so in a way that helps others.  Maybe one day students will be making a game in SDL or for Senior Design; that I would love to see, and in a way I will have accomplished what I thought I was going to when I enrolled here.

Now go relax your eyes (or continue to wreck them by putting down some Locust/Zombies/Terrorists/Helghast/Other or by playing Candy Crush on the toilet or whatever it is you kids do these days)

Jacob McKay

We need a president and a vice president so I can submit the form (I will gladly assume either or neither of those roles).  I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that people actually use the hub and see this.  If I find an appropriate email list to mail to, I'll do that also.  The first meeting will be next Monday 17MAR14 at 1:00 PM (MSOE Game Devs Preliminary Meeting, for you visual types) in CC46 (A room I just arbitrarily picked, other suggestions are welcome).  It is during this meeting that we will decide on a name for the organization, introduce ourselves, get acquainted, decide who the officers are, and all that good stuff.  Plan on being able to tell us what your favorite video game(s) are, who you are, and why you showed up.  Also, if you're hubbalicious, MSOE Game Devs Preliminary Meeting, hub it out with pride.

I hope to see at least one and a half people there not including myself.

For some reason I found this video inspiring a couple of weeks ago (although the narrative is cheesy IMO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCafnH_eisA

• Re: Re: Proposed Game Development Group/Club/Gathering/Org/Team/Unit/Squad/Force

Hello Jacob:

My name is Travis and I am co-founder of the Midwest Game Developers Summit.  It is great to see your involvement at MSOE in the realm of game development.

If you are interested, or have projects/games you have and want to show off, we plan on having a game developers event on July 12 - 13 at the Olympia Resort in Oconomowoc.  This would be a great way for your group to network with industry professionals and get some exposure with the games you create.  We are currently running a Kickstarter to fund this year's event if you want to check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mgdsummit/midwest-game-developers-summit

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!

-Travis

• Re: Re: Proposed Game Development Group/Club/Gathering/Org/Team/Unit/Squad/Force
        Jacob McKay

Travis thanks for dropping us a line! 

After checking it out, it sounds like a no-brainier that at least of few of our members would attend your summit, but as you likely deduced our org is in its infancy.  If I were to go, I would feel really out of place to not have a playable product to show off and whether or not we achieve that by mid-July is up in the air.  Regardless, I will focus on hammering out a few of our best ideas, and getting some intriguing original assets created so people can get excited about what we're working on.

Also, I agree that your summit would be a great vehicle for our members to network other other devs/industry professionals.  I can already see a need for 3D modellers, artists, audio techies, and the like in our group.  While I know a few people who can help us accomplish the related tasks those individuals would be working on, talent acquisition would be a priority for me in the attending of your event.  Count me in.

Brody Brown

If I was a student there already I would be there but I won't be until fall so instead I will just try to come up with some name suggestions instead and post them on here when I do. Try sending messages over the hub to all software engineers on here if you can and it might show up in their emails if their settings are set up that way like mine are. Good luck!!!