10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 11:09 AM by Dana Grennier RSS

Double Major vs. Biomedical Engineering

Mandy Runnalls

In dicussing potential paths for her future, my student is wondering what the difference between career paths and future employment might be if you double majored in Bioengineering and medical vs. MSOE's Biomedical program.  Any weigh in would be helpful for clarification!  Let me know if I need to explain differently!

Thanks in advance!

Taylor Carman, Kasey Mylin, Jake Karls, Charles Tritt

• Re: Double Major vs. Biomedical Engineering
    Taylor Carman

It would be great,  my mom wants me to stay in state but I would have to double major here in Kentucky.

Charles Tritt

Hello Taylor Carman(and Mandy Runnalls).

I'm the director of MSOE's biomedical engineering program. It is difficult for me to answer your question with certainty because bioengineering means different things at different schools, for that matter, so does biomedical, but generally not so much. Most bioengineering programs are similar to our biomolecular engineering program which focuses on cellular and sub-cellular processes and is not limited to medical applications. Biomedical engineering, at least at MSOE, is focused on medical applications and our attention is typically cellular and up (tissues, organs, and organ systems). We deal a lot with topics you'd also see in electrical and mechanical engineering, while many of the topics in bioengineering programs typically overlap with chemical engineering. Biomedical engineers are best prepared to deal with issues related to medical devices.

Regarding the double major, some schools and programs enough space (open time) and flexibility to make double majors an option. At MSOE, we (or at least I) tend to think you should generally focus on one area as an undergraduate (someone getting their B.S. degree) and then go to graduate school if you want more depth or breadth. In that way, you're not making so many choices at the beginning of your education and can use what you learn in your first three years of college to decide what you are going to do when you graduate.The biomedical engineering program doesn't have much flexibility because we want to cover all the major areas of biomedical engineering at reasonable depth so all our graduates are prepared for life after graduation regardless of what they decide to do.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me by e-mail (I'm tritt@msoe.edu) and we can arrange a time for you to call me if you have more questions.

Taylor Carman

Thanks for the info. The only reason the double major is an opinion is because my mom wants me in state and their isn't biomedical engineering in Kentucky. I prefer MSOE. This question is to prove if I can or cannot do want to do in state or outside of MSOE for that matter. Plus if I had to double major, the medical major would cause me to deal with blood and such, which just so happens to be something I can't handle. Hence my reasoning to become a biomedical engineer. Any more suggestions or facts that would help warm my mom up to MSOE?

Charles Tritt

I’d love to have you at MSOE, but I think you’re mistaken about there not being any biomedical engineering programs in Kentucky. I did a search and found this one: http://www.bme.uky.edu. So check it out.

As far as convincing your mom about MSOE. I’d stress that it is a small school in a very good part of downtown Milwaukee. You’d be safe on our campus (you can look up the crime statics for all universities on their websites). We’d also look after you with our residence hall staff, counselling services, health services and student life office. You’d also get a very good education at MSOE and last year we had 100% placement of our graduates, you can’t do any better than that.

Dana Grennier

I wonder if Cathy Varebrook might know of any alums in Kentucky who might be able to share their personal story of how they came to be at MSOE.