7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2014 3:06 PM by Mark Groe RSS

MSOE Choir

Ryan Koeppen

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to the Bridge, but definitely a prospective student. I visited a few days ago to learn more about the school, and it's definitely one of my top choices already. Granted, I'm only a junior in high school and have lots more schools to visit...

Anyways, all through high school, I've done choir and band, and music has always been a passion of mine since the time I was about six years old. One major factor in looking at colleges for me is to see how the choirs are. I know that MSOE is obviously a science/engineering school, but I've come to understand that there is a student-led choir here. Does anyone have any information on that? Maybe know a place I can here recordings? I'm very interested!

Thanks all,

Ryan K

• Re: MSOE Choir
    Gerald Soriano

Check out this group page and contact the admins there. Student Music Organization. Hope this helps.

Dana Grennier

Nicholas Gorden would be a good person to contact.  He will get you pointed in the right direction.

Nicholas Gorden

Thanks Dana!

Ryan, I'd love to talk to you more about music at MSOE.  I have been an executive of SMO (Student Music Org) for 2 years and the president for the last year (But just handed that off, as I'm graduating this semester).

SMO includes SIX music groups - 3 choirs (Men's Choir, Women's Choir, and Mixed), a String Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, and a Jazz Band.  We are constantly growing and adding groups into the organization, and (I believe) we are the second largest student organization here at MSOE.

The groups are not a huge time commitment, with practice once a week for 1-2 hours.  We hold 2 concerts a year, Winter and Spring, and most groups have other times that they perform as well.  Unfortunately, I don't know if we have any recordings of ourselves.

My question to you is - What instrument/Voice-part do you play(sing)?

-Nick

Ryan Koeppen

Hello Nick,

I do lots of different things, actually. In choir, I sing tenor (as far as 1 or 2, I'm pretty flexible). In addition, I play percussion for my school's concert and marching band. After choir, my main instrument would be piano. I've played since I was about six years old. I play in my school's jazz band currently, but I'm will be quitting after this year. I've been classically trained and, although my school doesn't have an orchestra, I would be open to playing piano (or percussion) for the orchestra as well. I'm not sure how much time I will have with school work, but I'd love to be a part of both if possible!

Mark Groe

Hey Nick,

I'm a freshman on campus and I'm interested in joining a choir.  Back in high school my number one regret was not joining a choir and now I may have another chance!  But I have absolutely zero musical knowledge.  I have some basic knowledge about singing just from the practices during musical season in high school.  I know about the breathing techniques and the whole 'relax your voice' thing (unless that's wrong, then I really have no knowledge) but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm curious if I can join a choir with no knowledge of music or how my voice actually sounds?  I'm really excited to possibly have the opportunity to join a choir (if I can with my lack of knowledge) and I am willing to put in whatever time I need to!

Thanks!

Mark Groe

ps. I posted this here because I'm not sure of the best way to contact you or whoever I should and I'm not familiar with this 'HUB' and I figured you might see this.