All MSOE professional education courses can be customized to meet your training needs at your workplace or at MSOE’s campus. Contact us today to create a specialized training program or learn more about our consulting services.
Managing Troubled Projects and Making Thinking Visible
Part 1, Troubled Projects Course
Are you leading a project that seems like it’s doomed to fail? Are you constantly putting out fires on a project and it’s spiraling out of control? This course gives you stress-relieving tools and techniques to manage troubled projects and determine if they can be recovered. You’ll learn how to assess a project’s health, how to communicate project challenges to upper management, and when and how to save a project or just pull the plug.
Part 2, Thinking Visible Course
Gain a deeper understanding of the power of visual thinking when applied to project management and tap into visual techniques to aid your thinking, reporting and collaborating. Drawing on the principles of visual design, you’ll learn how to present data with impact and how to create visual spaces and tools that elevate your team’s effectiveness.
Who Should Attend
- Project managers or program managers responsible for leading multifunctional teams
- New project managers seeking to develop team leadership skills
- Any project manager looking to refresh team communication strategies
- Any project leader at risk of unmet estimated budget, schedule or scope; unacceptable quality issues; or unsatisfied project customers
- Business analysts interested in visual thinking
Immediate Takeaways & Benefits
- Understand and identify drivers of project failure
- Use tools to monitor if a project is in trouble
- Rapidly assess project health and identify the root cause of troubles
- Develop a project recovery plan
- Leverage visual techniques to clarify complex situations, foster project team collaboration and enhance understanding of project data
- Design an effective project war room and project dashboards
About the Instructors
Patty Kramer is an adjunct assistant instructor in MSOE’s Rader School of Business, where she teaches graduate-level marketing, project management and leadership courses. She has more than 20 years experience working in the marketing ranks for consumer products companies such as SC Johnson, Dow Chemical and Hanover Foods, and she has led numerous innovation and business projects. She is the founder and president of BrandBlazers, a marketing consulting and leadership training company that works with clients and their teams across a variety of product and service categories.
Beth Slayman is an instructor in the Rader School of Business at MSOE. She has more than 25 years of experience managing business operations and software product development. She has a proven track record in leading large business initiatives requiring complex planning, communication and coordination.
Dates: October 25, 2018
Time: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Why should you choose MSOE? Learn more about what makes MSOE’s Professional Education a smart investment.
“Our courses are grounded in global best practices but bring you practical, real-world application, not just theory. Our experienced faculty helps you work with existing challenges and projects to apply and make relevant the content to your own leadership and business challenges.”
— Patty Kramer, MSOE instructor and marketing expert