MSOE Alumni Awards
Summer in the City Awards
Outstanding Alumnus of the Year Award
The Outstanding Alumnus of the Year is awarded to an alumnus who has made a significant advancement, discovery, or impact in their career and/or company, to science, engineering, nursing, mathematics, business, and/or entrepreneurship in the previous two years. This person should distinguish themselves in their field and provide leadership in addressing an important issue in their community while embracing philanthropic values.
Community Builder Award
The Community Builder Award is presented to alumni who have contributed time and talent to the betterment of others and their community. This award recognizes alumni who have given of themselves in support of civic, charitable, philanthropic, and/or social welfare organizations.
Graduate of the Last Decade Award
The Graduate of the Last Decade is awarded to an alumnus who has achieved accomplishments of significant importance at an early stage of a career, having received his/her undergraduate degree within the last 10 years. The alumnus will distinguish him/herself by being engaged as a volunteer with MSOE or being connected to another non-profit in the community along with having made substantial progress in his/her career.
Alumni Achievement Award
The Alumni Achievement Award honors graduates of MSOE who have shown outstanding professional accomplishments in their fields while demonstrating public service and leadership. These alumni will be engaged in the mission/advancement of MSOE and its respective alumni community.
Nursing Alumni of the Year
The Nursing Alumni of the Year award honors a nurse from the Milwaukee County General Hospital Nursing Diploma program or the Milwaukee School of Engineering School of Nursing BSN or MSN programs. Must demonstrate leadership in the field of nursing and have made an impact on the health outcome of patients. Must also embody the spirit of collaboration, curiosity, and professionalism.
Nominations must be received by March 1, 2022. Awards are presented during the MSOE annual alumni reunion weekend, Summer in the City each July. Nominate here.
Wall of Distinction Awards
The Wall of Distinction Award honors up to six MSOE alumni who have become distinguished in their communities and fields of endeavor. Their distinguished careers have contributed to and reflect credit on the various academic programs at MSOE.
- Have established an outstanding professional record.
- Have demonstrated distinguished service to his/her profession.
- Have established a personal reputation at either the local, state, national or international level for outstanding. character and community service for a period of sufficient in length that reflects without reservation honor upon MSOE.
- Be able to present him/herself as an outstanding role model for current MSOE students.
Nominations must be received by June 30 of each year. The Alumni Wall of Distinction induction ceremony takes place in November each year. Nominate here.
Award Selection Process
The Selection Committee reviews each nomination and chooses deserving candidates for these awards. The committee is comprised of:
- Vice President, Development and Alumni Affairs
- President of the MSOE Alumni Association
- Two Alumni-at-Large appointed by the President of the MSOE Alumni Association
- Two members of the MSOE faculty appointed by the Vice President of Academics
- Director, Alumni Affairs & Special Events
All individuals nominated or self-nominated will receive a letter announcing their nominations for the award, accompanied with a form requesting pertinent information that must be returned to the MSOE Alumni Affairs Office. MSOE employees are ineligible to receive these awards.
- A separate nomination must be submitted for each candidate and award
- Nominators are required to submit a letter of endorsement to help illustrate the scope of achievements with clear and concise detail as to why he/she should be selected for the award. Letters of recommendation and additional supporting details are encouraged, but not required.
- The Awards Committee will not consider nominations that consist solely of a nominee's CV/resume
- Incomplete nominations will not be considered.