Counseling Services We Provide
To see a Counselor
To see a counselor, schedule an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling (414) 277-7590, or filling out an online request form. During COVID-19, counselors continue to be available for students. Our goal is to make sure students have access to uninterrupted services during these uncertain times. Scheduled counseling sessions are available to students via telehealth and in-person. Accommodations can be made to meet student needs with accessibility for virtual counseling sessions. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Counseling Services is closed for the summer from June 1st-Setpmber 6th.
For after hours and emergencies call MSOE Public Safety at (414) 277-7159.
Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) contact information:
945 N. 12th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53213
The counseling staff is experienced in helping students in two main areas:
Counseling in these areas may help a student with such common concerns as:
- Developing healthy relationships
- Eating disorders
- Chemical dependency
- Coping with anxiety, depression and loneliness
- Stress management
- Family issues
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – lights are available in Health Services K250; call x7590 to schedule
In this category, counseling explores with the student:
- Realistic objectives in career choices
- Appropriateness of current major
- Effect of lifestyle on job satisfaction
Counseling Services utilizes a number of assessment tools, such as occupational or personality tests, which might serve as a basis for gaining further insight and information within the counseling relationship.
Your Role as a Student
The success of counseling depends upon the student’s willingness to help him or herself. It is up to the student to recognize a problem, be concerned enough to do something about it and take the initiative to seek an appointment at Counseling Services.
Successful counseling depends upon a trusting relationship between student and counselor. Everything said in a counseling interview is held in strict confidence. No information is released to any office or person within or outside the college community without the student’s permission.
Counseling Services is NOT
- A psychiatric outpatient clinic, nor is it an office for treating severe emotional disturbances. However, the counselor can refer a student to a more specialized worker if the particular problem necessitates that kind of attention.
- A disciplinary or rule-enforcing agency.
- An office that approves your class schedule. It will, however, discuss possible alternatives with you. The registrar and/or your advisor will help you meet graduation requirements and establish a class schedule.
- A place that will make decisions for you. It can, however, aid you in making your own decisions.
- Compulsory for MSOE students. Counseling Services is not a faculty or administrative office. Student participation is based entirely on the individual’s voluntary initiative.