Test and Evaluation Programs
FPI conducts testing and evaluation for some of the largest hydraulic companies in the world, including Caterpillar, John Deere, Husco and Parker Hannifin, as well as system evaluation for the U.S. military.
The institute has specialized equipment for pump, valve, motor, cylinder and filter testing. FPI conducts endurance and performance testing and environmental evaluations as well as component and system design, modeling and simulation, reliability analysis and system integration. In addition, a fully instrumented tribology laboratory is on hand to support research and conduct independent fluid and failure analysis projects.
Fluid Power Research Laboratory
The Fluid Power Research Laboratory, located on MSOE’s campus, has the capacity to operate a wide variety of hydraulic components under a wide range of pressure and flow conditions. It also has the instrumentation and expertise to safely control and monitor fluid power endurance tests seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- New product research and design analysis
- Performance and endurance research
- Pressure fatigue and burst pressure evaluations
- System design, construction and installation
- Troubleshooting and failure analysis
- Contamination research (component cleanliness and particle sensitivity)
- Component design and optimization using solid free-form fabrication
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Finite element analysis
- Hydraulic pump and motor efficiency
- Modeling and simulation of electrohydraulic systems
- Noise and leakage control
- Water jet research
- Test Cell 1: 150 HP, 65 gpm, 5,000 psi
- Test Cell 2: 450 HP, 120 gpm, 6,500 psi
- Test Cell 3: 200 HP, 65 gpm, 5,500 psi
- Test Cell 4: 100 HP, 13.5 gpm, 15,000 psi
- Test Cell 5 and 6: 50 HP, 8 gpm, 10,000 psi
- Test Cell 7: 200 HP hydraulic motion testing
- 70,000 psi burst pressure
- 1,000 psi collapse chamber
The FPI has specialized equipment for most hydraulic component evaluations. In addition, a fully instrumented fluid analysis laboratory is on hand to support research work and conduct separate analysis projects. All tests can be conducted in accordance with appropriate NFPA, ANSI, SAE, ISO and MIL standards. Customized test procedures can also be developed jointly between FPI and the project sponsor.
Typical FPI projects are estimated on a time and material basis. Written proposals include work scope, cost estimates, scheduling and confidentiality agreements. Most projects are initiated simply with issuance of a purchase order.
For more information on evaluation and research services, please contact:
Phone: (414) 277-7191
Fax: (414) 277-7470