Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) chapter hosts open house
The MSOE student chapter of the Society of Automotive Engineers is hosting “SAE Day,” an open house on Friday, May 19 from 12 to 3 p.m., for the public to meet the students and see the vehicles they’ve been working on this school year including:
- The Formula Hybrid car, which just took first place in the world at the Formula Hybrid competition at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. The car reached 60 mph and was the first-ever to complete the endurance event.
- The Supermileage gas-powered vehicle, which achieved 588 mpg at the recent Shell Eco Marathon in Detroit (they took 14th place out of 56 teams). This vehicle weighs only 17 pounds, and the body is made of carbon fiber.
- The Supermileage electric-only vehicle, which took 9th place out of 27 teams at the Shell Eco Marathon in Detroit.
- The Baja vehicle, which is still in production. The team will display the chassis that they designed and built this year, in preparation for next year’s competition.
There also will be a pit crew obstacle course.
SAE Day takes place in the MSOE’s Broadway Lot. Please enter at N. Broadway and E. Highland Ave.
This has been a very successful year for the MSOE SAE chapter, in addition to the awards mentioned above they earned:
- 1st place in the SAE Milwaukee Student Night.
- 2017 SAE Honeywell Outstanding Collegiate Branch award (an award they’ve earned four out of the past six years).
- 3rd place in the SAE World Congress Student Exhibit Competition where they presented on the Hybrid Vehicle Controller of the Formula Hybrid team.
- 5th largest student chapter of SAE in the U.S., with 105 members.