If you plan to appeal your academic suspension, continue going to class until your appeal is decided. If you do not appeal by the deadline, your schedule will be cancelled. Please note that if you also receive a notification of financial aid suspension, that is a separate appeal process.

Definition of academic suspension status:
When a student’s cumulative, term or cumulative major grade point average falls below 2.00, a student is placed on probation. Any student on probation who does not meet the criteria for good standing the following term will be suspended. A student is also suspended if he or she fails the same class twice. The student must appeal suspension status in writing to the Student Advancement Committee to be allowed to continue.

How do grade replacements affect academic status?
Academic status is determined based on the GPA earned for each term. This earned GPA used for academic status is not affected by grade replacements. Hypothetical example: The term GPA you earned in fall was a 1.75; that GPA included an F in your math class. Then in winter, you earned a 1.90, but you grade replaced your math class from fall.  The grade replacement brought your fall term GPA to 2.10. However, just because you grade replaced your fall math grade doesn’t mean that you had a good fall quarter. There were issues in fall that should be addressed. The fact that your winter GPA was not above 2.00 means there are still some things that are getting in the way of being academically successful. Therefore, your status is still suspended. You must still appeal.

How does a change of major affect academic status?
Academic status is determined based on the GPA earned for each term. This earned GPA is not affected by having courses removed from the calculation of your GPA because of a change of major. Rarely is the major itself the reason for the academic difficulty. Is your difficulty due to weak skills in a certain academic area or due to lack of motivation? Why do you believe you will be more successful in your new major? Often, there are factors other than just your choice of major that caused your GPA to be below the acceptable level. Therefore, your status is still suspended. You must still appeal.

What if I have incomplete grades that have caused my suspension status?
If you have earned incomplete grades that have caused you to be suspended, and the grades are not resolved before the deadline, you must still appeal by the deadline. Your appeal should include information such as the reason for the incomplete grade, the schedule to complete the work, and a general idea of how much work needs to be completed.

What if I have received a grade change, and I think I am ok now?
If a change of grade has been processed for you since your grades were originally posted, and you believe that you are now in good standing, please contact the Registrar so your academic status can be evaluated and changed if appropriate. If you are expecting a grade change but it is not officially received by the Registrar’s Office prior to the appeal deadline, you must still write an appeal explaining the circumstances of the impending grade change or your schedule may be cancelled.

How do I appeal?
This is a formal written appeal for you to stay enrolled at MSOE. It should be typed in letter format. Although there is no length requirement, typically these appeals are approximately one or two pages in length, single spaced. It should be free of grammatical and typographical errors.

How do I submit my appeal?
You have three options to submit your appeal. Whichever option you choose, please provide your current US mail address within your appeal.

  • You can mail your appeal as long as it will arrive by the deadline.

Address your appeal to:
Student Advancement Committee
c/o Registrar’s Office
1025 N. Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202

  • You can also drop off your appeal in the Registrar’s Office (CC365).
  • You can email the appeal to the Registrar, Mary Nielsen, at nielsen@msoe.edu.

What should I write in my appeal?
The purpose of the appeal is to convince the members of the committee that you should not be suspended. Before you write your appeal, you should take some time to think about the past two quarters. What has kept you from achieving the 2.00 required to be in good standing? If you need help in determining what the issues may be, you may wish to make an appointment with your academic advisor, program director and/or one of the counselors in the Counseling Services Office (K230) to discuss this topic.

The first part of your appeal should be an explanation of what the issues were that led to your suspension status. There are many reasons for academic difficulty, and the reasons are different for every student. Reasons can be various things like health issues, homesickness, uncertainty about major, lack of study skills, time management issues, too much fun and not enough studying, roommate issues, personal issues outside of MSOE, etc. The more specific and honest you can be in this part of the letter, the better. The appeal committee needs to see that you have done some soul searching and know what your challenges are and what needs to be changed.

The second part of your appeal is a plan of action. In the first part of your appeal, you identified the issues that you believe are hindering your academic success. What specific things are you currently doing or are you willing to try to be more successful in future terms? Why should the committee expect a different result at the end of this term? This part of your letter should be very specific. If you need help with this part of the appeal, often your academic advisor, the Counseling Services staff or Raider Center for Academic Success staff can help.

What happens after I submit my appeal?
The Student Advancement Committee reviews your letter and your academic records.

  • One outcome would be that the committee would deny your appeal to remain enrolled. For most students, this means that you will leave MSOE or take time off and try to return in the future. If your appeal is denied, there is a second level of appeal that enables you to talk to the committee in person. Students only get one chance in their academic career at MSOE to do a personal appeal with the committee. If both the written and personal appeals are denied, you will be withdrawn from classes and will be eligible to re-appeal in two terms.
  • The other outcome would be that you will be put on probation. This would mean that you are allowed to continue as a student on probation. If this happens, you are given various requirements as conditions of your probation. The requirements could include such things as a credit limit, or a requirement to meet with one of our counselors, support services staff or your academic advisor. Various other stipulations may be required based on your appeal letter and your academic record. Failure to follow through on these stipulations will affect the outcome of future appeals.

In either case, you will receive an email from the Registrar indicating the result of the appeal.

Who should I contact if I still have questions?
Mary Nielsen
Registrar and Chairperson of the Student Advancement Committee
Office: CC365
Phone: 414-277-7216
Email: nielsen@msoe.edu