Archived updates from MSOE regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19).
MSOE Response to Coronavirus
There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at MSOE.
In an effort to keep our students, faculty and staff healthy, and to “flatten the curve,” MSOE's classes have moved to an online format through the end of the Spring quarter.
April 17, 2020
MSOE has started processing refunds of room and board costs for the spring term due to COVID-19. Credits will be applied to students’ accounts using a pro-rated share of dorm and meal plan charges for the spring quarter. Students will see credits reflected on their accounts the week of April 20. If the credits result in a refund, electronic payments or checks should go out by the end of next week.
Should you have any questions regarding financial aid, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding your account, contact email@example.com. Our team is available and ready to assist you in answering whatever questions you may have.
Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers issued a statewide order closing business through May 26. Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett also issued a similar “stay at home” order for the city. This means our campus will remain closed until then. Classes will remain online for the Spring quarter. MSOE faculty and staff are working remotely. The only exceptions to this order are a handful of individuals deemed critical to ensure the continuity of operations and requiring on-site access.
For students who were living in one of the residence halls and need retrieve their personal belongings, our residence life staff is developing a schedule that is compliant with current health and safety guidelines as well as any existing ‘Safer at Home’ orders.
All MSOE students should refrain from coming to campus. Student access to all campus buildings has been deactivated. (Exception: residents can still access the Grohmann Tower.) Students who need access to MSOE's internet resources in support of their online learning can access the 4th floor of the Grohmann Tower by notifying Student Life of their needs. Contact Student Life via email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional support.
- The Grohmann Museum and Kern Center are closed. Re-opening dates are still to be determined.
- The Wellness Center staff is available to meet your needs via phone or email. If you need support or answers to any questions please contact email@example.com or call (414) 277-7225. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (shortness of breath, coughing, fever) please consult with your local health provider. If this is not an option for you, please call the Milwaukee Health Department Hotline at 211.
- The Walter Schroeder Library building is closed, but online resources continue to be available at all times. The library staff is available via email for support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit msoe.edu/library for more information. Currently checked out materials have been renewed with a new due date of June 30, 2020. Library staff will be reaching out to everyone who currently has materials checked out.
- If you need assistance from the MSOE Bookstore please email email@example.com.
- Spring Commencement has been postponed to Saturday, September 19, 2020
- Campus tours and all admissions-related events for prospective students have been suspended through May 26. Please contact your admissions counselor with questions. We have a series of virtual events and tours available as well. Please visit msoe.edu/virtual for more details.
How You Can Support Students
Our daily lives have been thrown into chaos as the COVID-19 crisis has unfolded. In some instances, students have lost a part-time job that supported their education. We are also learning of student needs that include funds for travel to return home to their loved ones, having enough money to buy food, housing insecurity, transportation and medical issues. Additionally, some students are facing the unexpected challenge of paying their tuition which impacts their ability to complete the academic year. To respond to the needs of our students, MSOE has established the Student Persistence Fund. If you’re able, we hope you will consider making a gift to support our students in these unprecedented times. MSOE parents and students can learn more about the Student Persistence Fund, including how to apply, by contacting Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.