Are You Ready to Vote?

MSOE encourages students to take part in the election process. Students eligible under state and federal law will have the opportunity to vote in the upcoming elections. For information about the next election, please go to MyVoteWisconsin.

Eligibility Requirements

Voting in Wisconsin is limited to U.S. citizens who are at least 18 years old on Election Day, who have not been convicted of a felony (unless the citizen’s right to vote has been restored), and are resident at your current address for at least 10 days prior to where an election is being held.  The State of Wisconsin also requires eligible voters to have a voter ID, as well as follow some other requirements listed below.

Wisconsin's Voter ID Law

All eligible Wisconsin voters, including students, must show an acceptable photo ID to receive a ballot. Eligible voters will also be asked to sign their name in the poll book per Wisconsin Election Law requirements.

Acceptable Voter IDs in Wisconsin

The following photo IDs are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 3, 2020 election):

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • A Military ID card issued by the U.S. Uniformed Services (including retired and dependent uniformed service IDs)
  • A U.S. passport book or card 

The Following Photo IDs are also Acceptable for Voting Purposes: 

  • A certificate of naturalization (that was issued no earlier than two years before the date of the election)
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin (can be expired or unexpired)
  • A driver license receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)
  • An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)
  • A Wisconsin DMV ID Petition Process Photo Receipt (valid for 180 days from date issued)
  • A Veteran Affairs ID card (must be unexpired or have no expiration date)
  • Photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college (please see more regarding a MSOE Voter ID card below), or technical college that contains the following:
    • Date the card was issued
    • Signature of student
    • Expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance
    • The university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment, such as a tuition fee receipt, enrollment verification letter, or class schedule.  Enrollment verification document can be shown electronically.

Additional information on Voter ID can be found here.

Registering to Vote

Under Wisconsin law, a proof of residence document is always needed when registering to vote. If students have registered to vote in the past they can verify that the address and polling location match their current address online. If a student previously registered but has since moved, the student likely needs to re-register to vote. In Wisconsin, eligible voters must reside at their address for at least 10 days by Election Day in order to register to vote in that election district or ward.

MSOE Voter ID Card

Students can also vote using a special MSOE Voter ID. Students can apply for their MSOE Voter ID Card at the Campus Life Office, located on the 3rd floor of the Campus Center CC360. Please note this process will take up to 48 hours to complete.

For additional information, please email Campus Life and utilize resources on MyVoteWisconsin.