The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
Sept. 22 | Location: Milwaukee School of Engineering
Sept. 23 | Location: Medical College of Wisconsin
Join the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) for the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in Health Care conference.
Advances in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) promise to significantly alter the management, delivery and trajectory of biomedical research and clinical practice. How might AI in the clinical context change the nature of medical practice and education? How might it affect patient care? How might features of AI programs affect values such as trust in the health care context? How can the design and implementation of AI foster these values? How should regulation and governance of these technologies evolve to protect patients, research subjects, and consumers?
This conference brings together an interdisciplinary group of experts to address the ethical concerns arising from the widespread use of AI in health care.
Registration: Free and open to the public. Registration required.
Lunch: Optional boxed lunch available for $15 (must pre-order during registration).
Register Today! | Parking and Directions
Thursday, Sept. 22 | Location: Milwaukee School of Engineering | 4–8 p.m.
Milwaukee School of Engineering
Diercks Hall Atrium and Auditorium
1025 N. Milwaukee St., Milwaukee, WI 53202
Parking and Directions
- 4 to 6 p.m.: Student and faculty poster session on research in AI
- 6 to 7 p.m.: Opening Keynote: Dr. Alex John London, Carnegie Mellon University: Uncertainty and the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
- 7 to 8 p.m.: Reception
Friday, Sept. 23 | Location: Medical College of Wisconsin | 8:15 a.m.–3:45 p.m.
Medical College of Wisconsin
Alumni Center MEB M1060
8701 W. Watertown Plank Rd., Milwaukee, WI 53226
Parking and Directions
- 8:15 to 8:45 a.m.: Coffee and refreshments
- 8:45 to 9 a.m.: Conference welcome and introductory remarks
- 9 to 9:45 a.m.: Dr. RJ Nowling, MSOE: How Deep Learning Revitalized AI and the Resulting Impact on Drug Discovery
- 9:45 to 10 a.m.: Break
- 10 to 10:45 a.m.: Dr. Karola Kreitmair, University of Wisconsin-Madison: Medicus Ex Machina
- 10:45 to 11 a.m.: Break
- 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Keynote Address: Dr. Elisabeth Hildt, Illinois Institute of Technology: Trustworthy AI in Health Care
- 12 to 1:30 p.m.: Lunch
- 1:30 to 2:15 p.m.: Dr. Michael Zimmer, Marquette University: Artificial Intelligence in Public Health Responses: Opportunities and Risks
- 2:15 to 2:30 p.m.: Break
- 2:30 to 3:45 p.m.: Panel session: AI in Health Care: Regulatory, Translational, and Clinical Perspectives
- Moderator: Dr. Olga Imas, MSOE
- Panelists: Dr. Kathleen Schmainda, Medical College of Wisconsin and Dr. Brian Patterson, UW Health
- 3:45 p.m.: End of conference
About our speakers and panelists