Authority for the granting of degrees by MSOE and making of exceptions to standard policies lies with the chief academic officer and the Executive Educational Council.
In all cases where ABET-accredited programs or other accreditations are in effect, care will be taken to ensure that all graduates meet or exceed the minimum accreditation criteria.
Bachelor’s degree recipients are expected to satisfy all courses prescribed in the curriculum for the particular area of student in which the degree is granted. The official graduation date will be the end of the quarter in which all graduation requirements have been met.
A cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher and a major GPA of 2.00 or higher are required for graduation. Undergraduate students who graduate with a cumulative GPA of between 3.20 and 3.69 will graduate with “Honors.” Students who graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.70 or above will graduate with “High Honors.”
Double Major Requirements
Attendance and participation in formal university Commencement is required of all bachelor’s and master’s degree candidates as a prior condition for receipt of the official diploma.
To receive a second bachelor’s degree, a student must complete a minimum of 40 credits that are unique to the second degree. These credits must be over and above those that satisfied requirements for the first degree. Science and mathematics courses taken to fulfill basic second degree requirements will not count toward these 40 required credits.
At least 40 percent of the total bachelor’s degree credits must be earned in residence at MSOE.
In addition, a minimum of 45, upper-division in-major credits, including senior design or capstone course specified for the major, must be earned in residence.
MSOE Advanced Credit Examinations, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination (CLEP) are not considered credits earned in residence.
Students must indicate to the Registrar’s Office their intention to graduate as stated in the “Graduation Procedures” section that follows. Candidates for graduation must have completed or be enrolled in all courses required for graduation.
- Satisfactory completion of all courses prescribed for the particular area of study in which the degree is to be granted.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in graduate course work that is applicable toward the degree being granted.
- Completion of all prescribed courses while at MSOE, except where permission is granted by the program director to transfer a maximum of nine graduate credits or three courses, whichever is less, into the graduate program.
- Satisfactory completion of a master’s thesis, oral presentation or other projects when prescribed, for the specific degree being sought.
- Completion of all requirements within the allotted maximum time period as prescribed for each program.
- Each student must apply for graduation by completing a Graduation Application form and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline stated below.
- For those who submit a Graduation Application form by the deadline, the Registrar’s Office, in conjunction with the program director, will do preliminary graduation checks before the end of the first week of the quarter in which the students plan to graduate, and notify them by mail if additional courses are required.
- A student completing graduation requirements by the end of a quarter, but who has not submitted a Graduation Application form by the above stated deadline, may participate in the commencement exercises with approval of the program director. The diploma for the student may, however, be delayed.
For more information about MSOE graduation requirements, please contact Devin Freed, 414.277.7219 or Rebecca Gonwa, 414.277.2291 depending on the program which you will be completing. See breakdown below.
Devin Freed—Undergraduate students: AS, BBA, BE, CE, CS, EE, NU, SEGraduate students: MSE, MSP, MSN
Becky Gonwa—Undergraduate students: AE, BIOE, BSCVE, CM, IE, ME, UXGraduate students: MSAE, MSCVE, MBA, MBA-EL, MSEM
Apply for Graduation
Graduation application can be found on myMSOE or in the Registrar’s Office, and needs to be completed by the following dates:
Friday, March 19th, 2021 for those graduating at the end of the Fall 2021 term with a commencement date of November 20, 2021.
Friday, September 10th, 2021 for those graduating at the end of the Winter 2022 term with a commencement date of February 26th, 2022.
Friday, November 12th, 2021 for those graduating at the end of the Spring 2022 term with a commencement date of May 21st, 2022.
Applications received past the deadline must first be granted approval by Devin Freed - Programs: AS, BBA, BE, CE, CS, EE, NU, SE, MSE, MSP, MSN or Rebecca Gonwa - Programs: AE, BIOE, BSCVE, CM, IE, ME, UX, MSAE, MSCVE, MBA, MBA-EL, MSEM in the Registrar’s Office in order for candidates to participate in the commencement ceremony.