Fluid Power Industrial Consortium (FPIC)
The FPIC is a partnership with the National Fluid Power Association and other stakeholders in the fluid power industry. The FPIC provides quarterly half-day technical seminars with a focus on the latest technological advances that provide you with solutions to overcoming challenges within your industry.
How Your Company Benefits:
- Access to the latest technology advances in fluid power vetted for no-sales pitch presented by industry professionals
- Association and networking with diverse industry representatives
- Interaction with MSOE’s Fluid Power Institute Technical Staff including engineers, researchers, undergraduate and graduate students
- Presentations are archived on a secure website for members to review at their convenience
- Professional Development Hours (PDH’s) or Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) awarded to participants upon request
- Member discount of 15% on MSOE’s Fluid Power Professional Education training programs
FPIC’s 340-member companies include those that design and manufacture fluid power components and systems, system integrators, OEM’s, users and other organizations. Seminar topics are aligned with customer drivers from NFPA’s Fluid Power Technology and Manufacturing Roadmaps as well as topics recommended by seminar participants.
NFPA Fluid Power Roadmaps Customer Drivers:
- Increased: Efficiency, Productivity, Performance, Availability, Uptime, Ease & Predictability of Maintenance
- Lower Capital and Operating Costs
- Weight Reductions and Increased Power density
- Compliance with Safety Regulations and Machine Directives
- Greater Integration of Technologies Including Data Acquisition, Utilization and Ownership
- Autonomous Operation
OEM’s manufacturers, SME’s Distributors and users are encouraged to join. The annual consortium membership fee allows the member company to send up to four employees to each of the quarterly seminars. There is no registration fee for NFPA member company employees to attend FPIC seminars. The third year of the FPIC was a huge success. FPIC experienced substantial growth in program attendance in 2019. Total attendance increased by more than 39% compared to 2018. The average program attendance in 2019 was 80. We are planning on making 2020 even better.
Topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Advanced coatings and hydraulic fluid technologies
- Micro-machining, batch-free heat treating, additive and hybrid manufacturing
- Advanced materials, composites, engineered plastics and sintered metals
- Robotics, advanced automation, smart systems, in-process sensing, feedback, and control
- IoT, AI and system modelling
Future Dates and Locations:
- June 4, 2020 – NFPA/FPIC Regional Conference – Minneapolis, MN – Topic: Improving Fluid Power System Efficiency, Reliability and Durability with Precision Manufacturing
Specific areas of Interest include but are not limited to:
- Automated/digital metrology systems integrated with inspection/quality methods. Connected to the cloud with real-time data for rapid utilization.
- Advanced statistical models so data can be used in real time.
- Use of Smart Tools in FP manufacturing.
- Machining processes for increased precision and improved surface finish.
- Improved finishing techniques and processes.
- September 3, 2020 – NFPA/FPIC Regional Conference – Milwaukee, WI – Topic: TBA
- December 3, 2020 – NFPA/FPIC Regional Conference – Chicago, IL – Topic: TBA
FPIC Member Feedback
- “These are intense and focused sessions that are well worth the effort to attend”
- “It was an excellent presentation”
- “Seminar exceeded my expectations, presentations were very informative and not beyond the technical capabilities of the audience”
- “I thought the presenters were excellent examples of experts in their field”
- “Conversation during presentations was great”
- “Awesome, Excellent, Thank You”
- “I found the topics extremely interesting”
- “Very good presenters”
- “we need more of this kind of thinking as we move away from large lot production to make to order manufacturing”
Previous FPIC presentation titles and Abstracts can be found here.