STEM on Site
If you are a high school group looking for a campus tour only, please refer to our admissions page.
The STEM on Site program allows groups to visit MSOE and engage in hands on activities or to have the MSOE STEM team lead activities at your location. STEM on Site offerings vary based on the time of year and staff availability; please contact our team to help us coordinate an experience with your school or group!
STEM on Site Campus Experience at MSOE
Location: MSOE Campus Center
Investment: $5 per student
Bring your students to MSOE for a hands-on activity. Campus tours are only available for high school students at this time, while STEM activities are available for all grades.
When requesting a STEM on Site, please indicate how many students you’d like to bring, if you’d like a tour (high school only), and 2-3 dates & times that work for your group.
Examples of program offerings include:
- Industrial Engineering Challenge (30-45 minutes): Students learn about industrial engineering and work in teams to design an aircraft assembly line. Groups compete to see who can meet their design quota in the quickest amount of time while maintaining quality across their designs. This activity is only available for groups of up to 30 students.
- Electrical Engineering Challenge (30-45 minutes): Students learn about electronics & circuits and work in small groups to complete circuitry challenges. This activity is only available for groups of up to 30 students.
- Instant Challenge Series (45-60 minutes): Students participate in 2-3 hands on challenges where they are given a bag of mystery materials and must solve a unique problem in a short amount of time as a team. Similar to Destination Imagination instant challenges, this activity is great for encouraging students to think unconventionally and to further develop team work skills.
- Zip Line Budget Challenge (45-60 minutes): Students learn about bills of material and are tasked with designing & building a zip line with certain performance targets. Students must work in a team to come up with a design, budget for their materials, and then accomplish the design challenge task within the time allotted.
STEM on Site at Your Location
Location: Your School, Company, or Community Center
Investment: $5 per student
For this experience, MSOE will travel to your location and lead a STEM activity for your students. When requesting a STEM on Site, please indicate how many students you’d like to serve, 2-3 dates and times, a program schedule (as required), and your event location.
Important notes about the STEM on Site offerings at your location:
- This program is available Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. from September through mid-May.
- MSOE will provide at least one staff member to lead an activity. For groups larger than 20, MSOE requires additional volunteers from your group to ensure activity success. We recommend at least 1 adult for every 8 elementary aged students, and at least 1 adult for every 15 middle or high school students.
- MSOE charges a travel fee of $0.55/mile for sites that are more than 15 miles from the MSOE Campus (1025 N Broadway, Milwaukee, WI).
- This program is available on a first come, first served basis pending staff availability. Programs can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
If you are a non-profit group looking for MSOE sponsorship via leading an activity at a workshop, conference, or similar event please indicate this in your event request.