If you can answer YES to ANY of the following statements below, you are considered an independent student for financial aid purposes. If you answer NO to ALL of the following statements, you are considered a dependent student for financial aid purposes. As a dependent student you are required to include your parents’ information on the FAFSA regardless of whether your parents claim you on their taxes.

  • I was born before January 1, 1997.
  • I was married as of the date I filed the FAFSA.
  • I have children or other dependents who receive more than half of their financial support from me.
  • I will be working on a master’s degree at the beginning of the school year.
  • I am currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.
  • I am a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • When I was 13 or older, both of my parents were deceased, I was in foster care, or I was a dependent or ward of the court.
  • As of the date I filed the FAFSA, I was an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship determined by a court in my state of legal residence.
  • I was determined an unaccompanied youth who was homeless by my high school, by a transitional living program, or by an emergency shelter program on or after July 1, 2019.

Students who answer NO to all of the questions above but have unique circumstances can complete MSOE's Dependency Override form and submit it to the MSOE Financial Aid Office for review.