Does MSOE have a residency requirement?

  • Typically, students are required to live on campus during their first two years at MSOE.
  • During the two-year residency requirement, students who live in one of MSOE’s Residence Halls (including Grohmann Tower floors 4-7) participate in the unlimited meal plan. Using this plan, students eat in the Dining Commons when they want and as much as they wish from Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. and weekend hours 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.

What are the benefits of living on campus?

  • Decades of research demonstrate the benefit of on-campus living during the first two years of the college experience. Students who live on campus a) feel more connected to their peers, b) have ready access to campus resources and supports, c) typically earn better grades, and d) are more likely to graduate.
  • Living on campus saves time, minimizes the stress of commuting, and offers access to meal plans. Students who live on campus have the safety and security of knowing that members of the Residence Life team, the Resident Assistant staff, and the Public Safety team are there to support them any time of day.

Do I need a wireless router?

  • There is an ethernet connection in each residential room.
  • Wireless routers are included in each room in Viets Tower. Students should not bring their own routers.
  • Students living in Regents, MLH, and Grohmann Tower will need a wireless router.

Is there printing in the building?

  • MSOE issued laptops print to any available public printer on campus. These printers operate through the print management system, Follow-You-Printing.
  • Each residential facility includes access to a public printer. 
  • MSOE issued laptops are configured to print via Follow-You-Printing. You will need your MSOE ID card to release your print job.

Do I need to bring a minifridge or microwave?

  • A combination microwave and minifridge is provided in each residential room in Viets Tower, Regents, and MLH.
    • Roommates can bring one additional minifridge (coordinate with your roommate).
  • A full-size refrigerator, four-burner stove, and microwave are provided in each apartment in Grohmann Tower.

Can I purchase a loft kit?

  • Viets Tower residents do not need a loft kit. The furniture is already capable of lofting. 
  • Regents residents do not need a loft kit. The furniture cannot be lofted.
  • MLH residents can order for a loft through College Products.
  • Grohmann Tower residents do not need a loft kit.

What are the dimensions for a typical residential room?

  • Viets Tower has a standard room approximately 11 x 17 with potential for slight variations.
  • MLH has a standard room approximately 10.5 x 16 with potential for slight variations.
  • Regents and Grohmann Tower include multiple layouts. Room dimensions vary based on style and location. 

Do I have to have a roommate?

  • Single rooms in the residence halls are limited to students with reasonable accommodations.
  • Single rooms in Grohmann Tower floors 8-10 are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Single occupancy is typically limited to studio apartments and based on demand and availability.
  • If you believe you qualify for an accommodation based on a medical condition, please contact Student Accessibility Services.
  • All other inquiries for single room accommodation should be submitted to Dr. Joshua Mitchell, Dean of Residence Life.

Where can I do my laundry?

  • All of our residential buildings include laundry facilities.
  • Students need to add funds to their RaiderCard to use the machines. No coins are accepted.
  • Students, family, and guardians can add funds to a RaiderCard. Download the GET app for more information. 

Where may I store my bike?

  • Bikes are not permitted in the residential hallways or rooms due to egress.
  • Bicycles should be secured to one of the MSOE bicycle racks located around the campus (e.g., 1121 N. Milwaukee Street, 1305 N. Broadway, 501 E. State Street, 912 N. Milwaukee Street, and 1025 N. Broadway).
  • Visit Public Safety to register your bike and get access.

Where can I park my car?

  • The Viets Field parking complex is located at 1305 N. Broadway.
  • The Water Street parking lot is located at 1214 North Water Street.
  • Students who are assigned parking may park 24-hours a day, seven days a week. A valid student parking permit must be displayed inside your vehicle at all times.
  • Visit Public Safety to apply for a parking permit.

Is there a community kitchen I may use?

  • There are community kitchens in Veits Tower basement and MLH 12th floor.
  • Keys for the kitchen will need to be checked out at the VT or MLH front desk.

What furniture is provided?

  • All residential buildings provide a bedframe, mattress, dresser, desk, chair, and closet space.

What size futon can fit in my room?

  • An 80 inches wide futon could fit in the residential rooms.

How can I transport my items during move in/out?

  • We provide carts on a first-come-first-served basis to help students transport items.

Who should I contact if information is missing on 

  • You may email to answer any questions on general residence life or specific needs. If something is not showing up, please email us and we may follow up with IT and figure out a solution to the problem or provide you an update on why information may not be readily available.

How do I contact Residence Life? 

  • Start with your Resident Assistant or the front desk in your building.
  • Contact a member of the Residence Life team or stop by the Central Housing Office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Central Housing Office is located on the ground floor of MLH.

What is the Mailing Address?

  MLH Viets Tower/RGN Grohmann Tower

Letters or

MLH, Room No.
Milwaukee School of Engineering
324 E. Juneau Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202
VT/RGN, Room No.
Milwaukee School of Engineering
1121 N. Milwaukee Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
233 E. Juneau Ave., Apt No.
Milwaukee, WI 53202

When is the front desk open?

  • All front desks are open daily during the academic year from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Letter mail delivered to one of the residence halls (e.g., VT, RGN, MLH) is listed by room on a whiteboard.
  • If you receive a package to one of the residence halls (e.g., VT, RGN, MLH), you will receive an email.
  • Letter main delivered to Grohmann Tower is put in the resident mailbox.
  • Packages for Grohmann Tower are listed by room on a whiteboard.

Can I move in early?

  • No, unless you receive approval.
  • Early Drop Off allows residents to bring belongings and set up their rooms before the official move in day. An email sign up will be sent from Residence Life to student’s MSOE email.